General What did you do with your Panda today?

Currently reading:
General What did you do with your Panda today?

I took my Panda Cross TA to the dealer for the 27,000 mile service/check. Over the last 9000 miles the average mpg was 51.1 and the last 1000 miles of that was 55.9. Original tyres (Goodyear 4 seasons) still have 6mm of tread all round. Front brake pads at 80% thickness and rears at 85%.

I'm impressed with the economy and general low running costs of the car.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0466_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0466_1024.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 49
  • thumb_IMG_0468_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0468_1024.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 44
I took my Panda Cross TA to the dealer for the 27,000 mile service/check. Over the last 9000 miles the average mpg was 51.1 and the last 1000 miles of that was 55.9. Original tyres (Goodyear 4 seasons) still have 6mm of tread all round. Front brake pads at 80% thickness and rears at 85%.

Ahh, but what did the service cost? As my first service heaves itself over the horizon, I'm contemplating how much I'd get for my first born :eek:

Ahh, but what did the service cost? As my first service heaves itself over the horizon, I'm contemplating how much I'd get for my first born :eek:

I took out a service plan when I bought the car. I can't remember what I paid up front (£399?) and it covered the first £27,000 miles (labour, oil plus other liquids, spark plugs etc.). I'm now on a new service plan through to 54,000 miles which I'm paying monthly based on my average mileage.

I'm a little suspicious of those MPG readings - do you ever do a proper brim-to-brim measurement? My Display shows 46-48mpg if I drive REALLY gently on typically flat roads, but real MPG is sometimes as much as 10% less. There's no way mine will average 50+! Part of my 'problem' is that I have to climb about 750ft up a steep hill within the first mile when the engine is cold and the numbers tumble like a stone and never really recover.....

I'm a little suspicious of those MPG readings - do you ever do a proper brim-to-brim measurement? My Display shows 46-48mpg if I drive REALLY gently on typically flat roads, but real MPG is sometimes as much as 10% less. There's no way mine will average 50+! Part of my 'problem' is that I have to climb about 750ft up a steep hill within the first mile when the engine is cold and the numbers tumble like a stone and never really recover.....

When I have checked brim to brim I find the trip computer is about 5% optimistic. I am getting close to 370-380 miles between fill-ups.

I think you've put your finger on it with the 750' climb with a cold engine. I have very few gradients, almost zero traffic and my commute is 25 miles each way. Optimum driving conditions for good economy. Despite this I find that I need to drive for 12-15 miles before I recover the gains in efficiency that are lost when starting off with a cold engine. So lots of journeys shorter than that will mean that optimum economy is never approached.

As an example I drove five miles from the dealership and recorded 27mpg! After my commute home this had risen to 53mpg!

I've also started to use the ECO setting. It's a relaxed drive and on the roads I'm using seems to have real benefits in terms of economy.

When I have checked brim to brim I find the trip computer is about 5% optimistic. I am getting close to 370-380 miles between fill-ups.

I think you've put your finger on it with the 750' climb with a cold engine. I have very few gradients, almost zero traffic and my commute is 25 miles each way. Optimum driving conditions for good economy. Despite this I find that I need to drive for 12-15 miles before I recover the gains in efficiency that are lost when starting off with a cold engine. So lots of journeys shorter than that will mean that optimum economy is never approached.

As an example I drove five miles from the dealership and recorded 27mpg! After my commute home this had risen to 53mpg!

I've also started to use the ECO setting. It's a relaxed drive and on the roads I'm using seems to have real benefits in terms of economy.

Excellent confirmation - thanks, I feel much better now! I've actually seen 52mpg on a long drive back from Yorkshire on the flat motorways, rumbling along at 60mph in heavy traffic. And then it all goes to pot as I climb up and over the North Downs (+800' climb), then up and over the Green Sand Hills behind where we live in Ewhurst, which is the 750' job. So by the time I get home it's well out of the 50's zone. Still love the TA however. Lots!

What did I do with my Panda today?
I wrote it off!

Big biff at an intersection. Front end bashed and pushed sideways (frame rails bent). Made a hell of a mess of the other car. No-one injured. The tow truck operator (always a good judge :rolleyes:) reckons she's a gonner.

My big problem is that although she's comprehensively insured, she was a dealer demonstrator... which means that I could only get 'agreed value' insurance, not new car replacement, and that 'agreed value' is based on what I paid for her... which because I got a really really good deal, means my not yet twelve months old car can't be replaced with a car in similar condition. Besides, I should pay out the loan I took to buy her.

So for the foreseeable future, my Morris Minor (my very very rough Morris Minor with the shot exhaust and crook brakes) will be my everyday car.

Now to wait for the insurance company to decide... and pay... and whatever :cry:

What did I do with my Panda today?
I wrote it off!

Big biff at an intersection. Front end bashed and pushed sideways (frame rails bent). Made a hell of a mess of the other car. No-one injured. The tow truck operator (always a good judge :rolleyes:) reckons she's a gonner.

My big problem is that although she's comprehensively insured, she was a dealer demonstrator... which means that I could only get 'agreed value' insurance, not new car replacement, and that 'agreed value' is based on what I paid for her... which because I got a really really good deal, means my not yet twelve months old car can't be replaced with a car in similar condition. Besides, I should pay out the loan I took to buy her.

So for the foreseeable future, my Morris Minor (my very very rough Morris Minor with the shot exhaust and crook brakes) will be my everyday car.

Now to wait for the insurance company to decide... and pay... and whatever :cry:

The Panda's officially written off. By the time all the costs are paid, I get $800.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

The Panda, got serviced, got a software upgrade, and Start&stop reset.
Everything is back in working order again. :D

Further it got it's first "APK" and past with flying colors. ;)
The next one is in two year time. (2018)

The Dutch vehicle roadworthiness test is a Periodic Technical Inspection or General Regular Safety Inspection (Algemene Periodieke Keuring or APK).

Last edited:
Today i test-fitted the 215/40ZR16" Dunlop Sport 9000 tire on my 7Jx16" ET31 steel wheel.
First impression was, that the tire fitment on the 7J wheel looked much better (nice square look) then the little stretched 195/45R16" tire on the same 7J wheel.
Then i fitted the tire/wheel combination on the car, and it showed that there is plenty space on the inside, about 1cm to the front strut and 12-13mm at the inside rear wheel well.

Not today, but at the weekend, I had to do a round-trip of 260 miles up into Norfolk. On the way up, I averaged 51.5mpg in our TwinAir 4x4. So, thinking there was more in it, on the way back (on a slightly different route) I drove especially carefully - keeping up with traffic, but accelerating as gently as I could and sticking to a 60mph cruise on the dual-carriageway and motorway (found a truck and sat behind that, which makes you feel less vulnerable as cars are moving out to pass the lorry anyway!) - result? 58.7mpg for the return leg and 54.5mpg as a round trip average.
Obviously the trip computer may be slightly optimistic (though in the past, checking over a tankful has shown it to be pretty much spot-on with minimal variance either way), but even if it's a couple of mpg out, I'm still happy with that.
It goes to show the Panda can be extremely economical, though undoubtedly this would be less in hilly conditions or if you wanted to cruise quicker!

Back