General What did you do with your Panda today?

Currently reading:
General What did you do with your Panda today?

Fuel economy is very speed dependent and steady speed cruising <60mph will get you a noticeable improvement. The only 'downside' is you'll also notice the impact of using A/C. On the 2WD 1.2, I see a reduction of ~ 10mpg if I turn on the A/C when cruising at 50mph. The slower you cruise, the worse the effect; partly because you need less fuel to move the car, and partly because your journey takes longer at the slower speed (A/C uses fuel by the hour, not by the mile).

Last edited:
Not today, but at the weekend, I had to do a round-trip of 260 miles up into Norfolk. On the way up, I averaged 51.5mpg in our TwinAir 4x4. So, thinking there was more in it, on the way back (on a slightly different route) I drove especially carefully - keeping up with traffic, but accelerating as gently as I could and sticking to a 60mph cruise on the dual-carriageway and motorway (found a truck and sat behind that, which makes you feel less vulnerable as cars are moving out to pass the lorry anyway!) - result? 58.7mpg for the return leg and 54.5mpg as a round trip average.
Obviously the trip computer may be slightly optimistic (though in the past, checking over a tankful has shown it to be pretty much spot-on with minimal variance either way), but even if it's a couple of mpg out, I'm still happy with that.
It goes to show the Panda can be extremely economical, though undoubtedly this would be less in hilly conditions or if you wanted to cruise quicker!

Very similar to my long term economy driving around Norfolk. The TA is capable of excellent economy but as you remark you have to cruise at less than 60 mph and be happy with gentle acceleration. This is not a problem for me and the kinds of roads I drive on - a mix of A,B and C roads.

My average, over 14k miles, most of which has been around Norfolk and Suffolk, is 41 mpg, but my driving style is <ahem> somewhat less restrained than PaulD!

I still find it surprising (and frustrating) what a difference just a few mph on the (legal) cruising speed makes to the fuel economy of the TA, and how severely the economy suffers if you use the gears. I can't help but make comparisons with my old DS3, which had 155bhp, was eager as a puppy, and gave a reliable 43-45mpg, even when driven spiritedly. If I drive my Cross in the same fashion, I'm lucky to get 35.

So while I'm always interested to hear of owners who manage to get 50+ from their TAs, I'm left with the thought that it shouldn't be necessary to drive the car in such a restrained fashion in order to get 50+ (which, let's not forget, is still way below the mpg that Fiat claims for it).

Last edited:
To be completely honest, things aren't that much better on the diesel front. I have a very short commute through the city so my average MPG for the months I'm working is in the mid 30s, while I "could" probably get around mid 40s if I used the highway to get to work (and extend my commute).

I do, however, think that the other factors (primarily tyres, height and aerodynamic drag, and drivetrain losses) significantly impact the fuel consumption of our 4x4s to an extent that too many variables come into play to compare reliably with other vehicles.

My average, over 14k miles, most of which has been around Norfolk and Suffolk, is 41 mpg, but my driving style is <ahem> somewhat less restrained than PaulD!

I still find it surprising (and frustrating) what a difference just a few mph on the (legal) cruising speed makes to the fuel economy of the TA, and how severely the economy suffers if you use the gears. I can't help but make comparisons with my old DS3, which had 155bhp, was eager as a puppy, and gave a reliable 43-45mpg, even when driven spiritedly. If I drive my Cross in the same fashion, I'm lucky to get 35.

So while I'm always interested to hear of owners who manage to get 50+ from their TAs, I'm left with the thought that it shouldn't be necessary to drive the car in such a restrained fashion in order to get 50+ (which, let's not forget, is still way below the mpg that Fiat claims for it).

I hear you - the TwinAir can seem sensitive to driving style in a way that some larger capacity cars might seem less susceptible to. That said - how much did your DS3 weigh? Probably similar, eh? Did it have the extra drag of an (admittedly largely disabled) 4x4 system? Was it running on All-Season/ Winter tyres? Did it have superior aerodynamics for high-speed cruising (let alone roof-bars fitted etc)? Based upon that, driven in the same way (i.e. similar rates of acceleration, quicker cruising etc) which would you EXPECT to use more fuel?
A better comparison would be a back-to-back test against a Suzuki Jimny or possibly a Suzuki Swift 4x4 - in which case I suspect the TwinAir would seem (comparatively) frugal.

You see my point - I agree that, driven with a bit of gusto, the TwinAir/4x4 pairing can seem a bit thirsty, but in context, I think it does pretty well.
BTW - that trip back was a deliberate exercise in economical driving! I'd struggle to get that normally - the 51.5mpg was more typical of a longer trip average at a steady cruise.

Last edited:
Give that man a prize! The Panda TA Cross and the DS3 1.6 DSport are both given as 1090 kg!

But even allowing for the 4x4 drivetrain, brick-like aerodynamics, all-season tyres, etc, the fuel economy of the Cross TA is still pants IMHO! :D

Last edited:
Give that man a prize! The Panda TA Cross and the DS3 1.6 DSport are both given as 1090 kg!

But even allowing for the 4x4 drivetrain, brick-like aerodynamics, all-season tyres, etc, the fuel economy of the Cross TA is still pants IMHO! :D

No way! That was a guess based on it being a bit smaller but with an extra couple of doors and an extra diff/driveshafts!

I think if we all uncoupled our turbos we'd get a much better average mpg, but where's the fun in that! :)

Drove it. Parked it. Like a BMW driver. [emoji23]

IMG_1470413505.134139.jpg

Last edited:
Went to collect my new teardrop trailer / sleeping pod.

1.3 diesel 4x4 - towed it easily but mpg dropped from 65 to 45 mpg.

Before the service, i was only doing 11 km on 1ltr, now it looks like 14 Km on 1ltr. :D

That would be a nice change. I'm doing about 12km to the litre so wouldn't mind some improved fuel economy.
Not holding my breath though.
I would be pleased if just it returns driving as good or a little better then it is doing now. Sadly in the past I've had bikes and cars that came bad worse after they where serviced at their official dealers.

Chichi the angry Panda passed 10,000 miles last week. I've been unwell since May so had it cleaned inside & out.

Three things I have noticed recently.

The first is there is a bonnet to wing witness mark so I've unscrewed the rubber bumpers a little and added some touch up paint.

The second is the bonnet felt lining keeps falling down at the back. I think 3m double sided tape is needed there.

The third is the steering wheel. The leather is turning a bit white. Tried leather cleaner & balm which improved it a bit but need to have a think.

Overall, a fantastic car. After 18 months, still have much love for it.

IMG_1471217598.238272.jpg

IMG_1471217620.189144.jpg

Got exactly the same problem with the bonnet lining. Keep us posted if the 3m solves it.
On leather (motorcycle jacket and gloves) I often use baby wipes (you know those oily disposable towels) to good effect. Don't use the type that has alcohol in it though.

Gave my door cards a wash! I've been avoiding it for a while as I was worried about the typical water stains often seen on Panda upholstery. Wasn't terrible.

Back