Tuning What are good engine mods for MK2 punto

Currently reading:
Tuning What are good engine mods for MK2 punto

Ive got a MK2 punto 1.2L 8v and wondering what would be some good mods to increase the BHP.. I bought it with a k&n air filter on it.. also it has a backbox (not sure if that does anything like). Also how much would i be looking to spend to make it a bit quicker?

Ive got a MK2 punto 1.2L 8v and wondering what would be some good mods to increase the BHP.. I bought it with a k&n air filter on it.. also it has a backbox (not sure if that does anything like). Also how much would i be looking to spend to make it a bit quicker?

Hi Tony and a big Welcome to The Fiat Forum.

Try doing a Search, there have been hundreds asking the same question, the answers are in here, always try a Search first (y)

Heres another https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/197885-punto-mk2-1-2-8v-exhaust-help-me-choose-please.html

Last edited:
Yeah they are crap. Just sit on the throttle body sucking in all the hot air off the engine if it is one of there "induction" kits and not an uprated panel filter.

better induction system and remap.......tbh you can make any car faster it just depends how much money you want to through at it??? if you want a faster car buy one rather than spending too much on performance parts...your only gonna get so much out of 1.2ltr.

Hi Pal

I have the same car and wanted a little more power from my engine. I would suggest the best mod for the engine that you could start with would be to go for a GSR Induction Kit, I brought mine last Sat and love what it's done to the car. Much more responsive, gives a little more pull and sounds great.

guessing you have then, dont hurt me :rolleyes:. I apologise

im guessin gains are nowhere near gsr standards with remap.

but if people get remaps without an induction (im guessing people have done that) surely a focus n remap couldnt be any worse?

lol

To be honest mate its a waste of time and money trying to get more power out of a 1.2 8v. I love the punto for it's looks so spend money on visual mods or ICE instead.

However if you are looking at GSR induction and remap look HERE

However:
Re-map only: Typical peak power increase is from 6bhp. Typical torque increase is 9+Nm.

Please call for more details.

£ 249.00 inclusive of VAT
and induction:
£ 159.00 inclusive of delivery.

Don't know the gains with both fitted but £410 for about 8-9 BHP is way too steep in my eyes. Especially as they are only 60BHP standard, meaning you will get it to about 68-69 BHP. Just sell it and buy a Mk2b 16v active sport like I did. 80BHP as standard.

EDIT: only just noticed that Dave's car is the Punto logo on their site :doh: only been on there about a million times :doh:

Last edited:
To be honest mate its a waste of time and money trying to get more power out of a 1.2 8v. I love the punto for it's looks so spend money on visual mods or ICE instead.

However if you are looking at GSR induction and remap look HERE

However:

and induction:

Don't know the gains with both fitted but £410 for about 8-9 BHP is way too steep in my eyes. Especially as they are only 60BHP standard, meaning you will get it to about 68-69 BHP. Just sell it and buy a Mk2b 16v active sport like I did. 80BHP as standard.

EDIT: only just noticed that Dave's car is the Punto logo on their site :doh: only been on there about a million times :doh:
Your better off following this advice, why spend lots on performance when really, the costs are going to be a lot more than the final outcome.
And if you say you got lots to spend, I would sell up and use that money, like smokey says, towards a better car.

You need to look at the graphs to see how much better the torque and power distribution is across the rev range not just the peak figures. Personally i dont get why you would pay attention to any of the above when none of them have had an 8v with a GSR and induction to say if it is worth it or not. £410 for a 10bhp increase and much better drive ability is nothing. It works out at £41 per BHP which is nothing. On average for every BHP you gain you are looking at spending about £60 to get 1 so at £41 it is good value.

At the end of the day no car is really worth tuning or modifying as you will never get your money back so you can always say sell up and buy a quicker car as standard as that is what anyone in there right mind would do. But then alot of people arent in the financial position to be able to sell up and buy something faster out the box so you cant really suggest this when you dont know there position in which case spending £410 isnt that bad especially if you are going to keep the car for 2 years or more.

Matt, the only point to make people understand what the difference is is to go to the drag strip.

I test fitted to the latest Golf 1.4 a GP 1.2 induction kit. Five runs have been done before and 2 runs with it between the best of each was more than one second from 0-60mph in a car that was just over 1500kg with driver and person to operate the accelerometer, which is about 10% better.

If this doesn'T count - nothing will count.

well i got this car as a project.. and its going well so far, already came with abarth body kit and backbox, tinted windows.. cost me about £1200 to buy fix it... (front end was smashed)
apart from this induction kit.. anything else that would do anythin?

Back