Well that's another one gone

Currently reading:
Well that's another one gone

The Beard

Prominent member
I can remember my mother-in-law saying she was saddened that loads of people she used to know were dying, so much so that her first port of call in the local paper was the Obituaries.

She also said that all the singers and actors that she used to like were popping their clogs as well. There have always been those who have gone before their time through misadventure such as James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Buddy Holly, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Marc Bolan, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, George Harrison and half of Lynyrd Skynyrd; but they all went through drugs overdose or car and plane crashes. Or in the cases of Gaye, Lennon and Harrison through violent acts, but now Jon Lord has died from a Pulmonary Embolism after fighting Pancreatic Cancer, aged 71. Chris Rea also suffered from Pancreatic Cancer but survived after surgery.

This is sad for me as "Fireball" by Deep Purple was the first album I bought in 1972 and I also saw them on a couple of occasions in the '70s. Deep Purple were probably the one band most responsible for heavy rock as it was then and still is today. He used to play a Hammond B3 or C3 organ which wasn't really popular except in soul groups. Heavy rock, hard rock, thrash metal etc., etc. In fact about the only genres of rock music Purple either weren't involved in or influenced were Grunge, Death Metal and Punk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18864409

http://jonlord.org/

http://www.deep-purple.net/related-news/jon-lord.htm

Perhaps what's bothered me almost as much as Jon's death is that like my mother-in-law, this is perhaps as an indication of my own mortality. I might have been in my mid teens in 1972 but Jon Lord, Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Glover were still young men then.

Ah well, perhaps it's time for a large Bowmore.....or two, now, where's the obituary section?

Reactions: saw
Fireball was the first 7 inch single I bought (that will confuse the young uns)

Great musician, happened to be sitting in a rock bar last night as the news came through on everyone's facebook, was quite a wierd feeling, just about everybody in the pub getting the info at the same time, but from different sources..

Cheers

D

but they all went through drugs overdose or car and plane crashes. Or in the cases of Gaye, Lennon and Harrison through violent acts

Thought George Harrison died due to cancer? Assuming that is who you meant? no other harrison is mentioned in the opening post

I always loved Highway Star or Woman From Tokyo.

Deep Purple were the first rock band I ever listened to at the age of 5.:D my parents used to hate me for constantly play them and Pink Floyd most days. :slayer:

Its very sad to hear that Jon has passed away. I dont think many of there songs were as appreciated as much as similar stuff from other bands of the same era. (n)

To add;

I think if you mention Deep Purple to many people they will only be able to think of one song. "Smoke on the Water" and as much as i like the song this is very sad :(

also, I wonder how many people remember Jon for his work, although limited, with WhiteSnake

Last edited:
Fireball was the first 7 inch single I bought (that will confuse the young uns)

Great musician, happened to be sitting in a rock bar last night as the news came through on everyone's facebook, was quite a wierd feeling, just about everybody in the pub getting the info at the same time, but from different sources..

Cheers

D
Ah, Fireball. That track had (arguably) the most original intro to any pop/rock song in which the first sound the listener heard was a mechanical one, namely the sound of the studio air conditioner starting up. I always thought it was a lift but then what the hell do I know.

That's interesting about the facebook thing. When Elvis died, if you missed the news on the radio before you left for work then you proabably wouldn't find out until the 9 o'clock news that night. No mobiles, no computers, no twitter or facebook. If went by car to work you might have heard about it on the car radio.....unless your Dad was giving you a lift in which case you were probably listening to James Last or Akker Bilk on Radio 2.

Thought George Harrison died due to cancer? Assuming that is who you meant? no other harrison is mentioned in the opening post
You're right in that his cause of death was cancer but it's quite widely accepted that the stabbing by a burgler could well have been the catalyst for his illness. He was playing with the Travelling Wilburies (Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne) around that time, although I have to admit I'm not quite how that worked as they all played guitar. As a matter of interest, George was regarded as the only real musician in the Beatles. Ironic that three musicians/singers who probably espoused the "Peace" ethic more than almost anyone else; George Harrison, John Lennon and Marvin Gaye all met with violence. Gaye was shot dead by his father!

I always loved Highway Star or Woman From Tokyo.

Deep Purple were the first rock band I ever listened to at the age of 5.:D my parents used to hate me for constantly play them and Pink Floyd most days. :slayer:

Its very sad to hear that Jon has passed away. I dont think many of there songs were as appreciated as much as similar stuff from other bands of the same era. (n)

To add;

I think if you mention Deep Purple to many people they will only be able to think of one song. "Smoke on the Water" and as much as i like the song this is very sad :(

also, I wonder how many people remember Jon for his work, although limited, with WhiteSnake
Age 5!? Are you the student-type in the BT adverts? "Rocking from an early age my friend, rocking from an early age." A lot of bands at the time of breaking up or a band member leaving re-formed and while not going off at a tangent tend to move in a different direction which is a reflection of all the members of the new band. An example you could look at Free who became Back Street Crawler and then Crawler. Another offshoot was Bad Company. The Nice, King Crimson, Atomic Rooster and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown provided the members of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. One of my favourite tracks on Fireball was Anyone's Daughter a really unlikely track for Purple.

death happens to us all, but jon lord passing was a shock, funny how some celebrity's go with hardly a mention on the news
The death of Amy Whitehouse (and the possible future premature death of the likes of Pete Doherty) are/would be well publicised because of the amount of publicity they generated while alive. I can't actually remember Jon Lord doing anything newsworthy outside the confines of the band. Maybe that's what musicians should be about.....making headlines on the stage and in the studio and not the street.

Mind you, thinking about it, there have been more than a few TVs hurtle out of hotel windows and cars ending up in swimming pools on the whim of of rockers.

Back