General Waxoly - Rear axle

Currently reading:
General Waxoly - Rear axle

In this day an age we shouldn't have to be doing this to cars imo.

I remember covering undersides of cars in the 1980's with old engine oil.
As a precautionary note the general advice back then was to avoid getting oil on any rubber bushes.

Had a look at mine tonight, doesn't look the best have attached a few photos.

Car is a 1.3 multi jet dynamic 2006 61K on the clock.

Would be interesting to see how other people's are bearing up and also if people think mine is looking somewhat poorly! View attachment 170356View attachment 170357View attachment 170358

No photos I'm afraid, but I've just seen a 59 plate, 72k example in a slightly worse state. Perhaps more important than the flaky surface rust on the spring cups was the hole in the corner where the tubular suspension arm is welded to the cross member. Certainly an area that should be examined closely.
I've also seen a 10 plate with similar mileage on which the suspension was remarkably in a much better condition.

The spring pans crack about 25mm inboard of the welds to the swing arm. Soma also rust through the bottom.

Waxoyl thinned with white spirit is very effective. But thinned chain saw oil is amazingly good. It soaks into the metal and really seals out the weather. It's also biodegradable so any drips on a drive will eventually weather away.

Over time it sets to a sticky varnish so don't leave it on paint work.

If you axle is really too far gone you can replace it with a Fiat 500 axle and springs. Use the top rubbers at both ends of the springs and you will get a better handling car with a smoother ride.

The mod probably does not work on a 100HP due to larger wheels.

Back