General Water in spare wheel well

Currently reading:
General Water in spare wheel well

GaryGoobdon

Hi FF,

I’m hoping that someone might be able point me in the correct direction with a water leak we have in our 2018 pre face lift 500X. We’ve noticed it unusually steaming up more whilst parked so decided to investigate. What we found was water in the spare wheel well and damp in the drivers side rear footwell. The water is fresh and clean, does anyone know of any places that 500x’s suffer with body leaks ? I’ve had the rear lights out and cleaned around them, there door drains are clear too.

Thanks in advanced.

Simon

Though I have never had the problem myself there have been reports of the rear window washer pipe leaking or becoming disconnected.

Though I have never had the problem myself there have been reports of the rear window washer pipe leaking or becoming disconnected.
Thanks for the advice Ron, I don’t think it’s washer fluid though as the water is clean so has no washer fluid in it.

Bit unusual to get water in rear footwell and the boot. I assume you don't have a sunroof?

Suggest you dry out then put kitchen towel along the boot floor ledge up to the wheel arch / side panel and check regulary. Hopefully you will be able to see what and where gets wet first before the water/damp spreads.
Thanks s130, you are correct it is a non sunroof model. I’ve got to get the hose out really and do further investigations. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem and how they solved it.

Thanks s130, you are correct it is a non sunroof model. I’ve got to get the hose out really and do further investigations. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem and how they solved it.
I don't think (other than broken washer pipes) anybody else has mentioned this here. It is good that you removed & cleaned the rear light units as this is often (especailly on Merc A Class vehicles) a source of possible ingress.

I'm puzzled as to the path from boot arear to rear footwell. Sadly when it comes to water nothing is impossible :)

I don't think (other than broken washer pipes) anybody else has mentioned this here. It is good that you removed & cleaned the rear light units as this is often (especailly on Merc A Class vehicles) a source of possible ingress.

I'm puzzled as to the path from boot arear to rear footwell. Sadly when it comes to water nothing is impossible :)
I’ll get to the bottom of it and when I do I’ll be sure to update you all.

It may be worth checking the aerial base, to make sure it's not coming in through there.

Otherwise I've only ever had a "proper" leak from behind the lights and through a blocked sunroof or scuttle drain...

Detached rear washer hose and I once left the window open while washing the car doesn't count.. :D

Ralf S.

Back