was driving my seicento sporting.........

Currently reading:
was driving my seicento sporting.........

JAFFY said:
i dont know about that----my m8 spoke to her mechanic friend and he said it obviously hasnt been fitted right-the bolts were only 2 threads in when they are supposed to be in about 6/7 yeh?
the bolts were too short and they didnt tell me i was driving an unsafe car
i could see that holding if they supplied and fitted the bolts but they were just re fitting your own bolts. yes they should have brought it to your attention but dont think it puts liability on them unfortunatly

then thats them putting an unsafe vehicle out on the roads-one of the dentists at my work said that they are not allowed to do this!!-trading standards are phoning me today-i'll see what info they can give me

It's obviously not your fault, but unfortunately it's not the garage's fault either. They simply swapped your wheels over, and it's a standard thing to recheck the bolts after 100 miles or so with alloy wheels. Most garages will have a sign up stating this, and some also put it on the receipt.

Yes it could be argued that they should/ could have noticed the wheel bolts being too short, but again most quick fit type places simply put them back and use an air rachet to tighten them up. They have no idea of how many threads have actually engaged.

The real guilty culprit was whoever supplied/ fitted the wheels in the first place and used the wrong bolts.

It's worth taking it up with the Trading Standards, but I think you'll find that the garage will be waived of liability because they didn't supply the wheels/ bolts.

Hope you get lucky though, as it will cost a fair bit to put right and we can't do with having a Fiat off the road needlessly ;)

Best of luck, and let the forum know how you get on.

Last edited:
That's one way of lowering a car.... ;)
Anyway, the official line would be that you should have checked the bolts yourself within the last 2 months.
Also, you say 2 threads worth of bolt have sheared off (if I read your post right). If the bolts were loose at all, then there would have been more than 2 threads worth of bolt in the hub, had they been tight. So it might only have been 2 threads worth BECAUSE they were loose.
H

well-the garage came out and basicly said-WE WILL PAY FOR YOUR CAR TO BE FIXED!!!!! wehey!!!!!!!!
he said-whats happened to your car is what we said when we changed your tyre-i was like-you didnt say anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-then he just said out of good will we will fix your car-even the body work!!!!!!!!

but bad news......... i went to an alloy wheel place when i was visiting my nan that was in Sheffield-he said that my BK racer wheels do not fit my car!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!! and he wouldnt sell me the alloy wheel bolts as he said its a death trap!!!!!-i have 2 spacers on my front wheels-i didnt know this until the wheel fell off-so he said that all that holds my wheel in place are he bolts-the wheel wont fit on the hub-ok i have quite thick tyres so need the spacers-I NEED HELP-is this true?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

so i phone a guy that sells BK wheels on the net today and he said-i dont know what that guy was talking about-then he said 2 spacers is not ideal so take them off!!!!!!

ahh im confused-HELP????!!!!!!!

helen xx.

kool-i'll phone that guy that said they dont fit and see what he says-he didnt give me any ideas how to sort it out just said they need to come off!!!! :( i dont want to get rid of my wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAFFY said:
well-the garage came out and basicly said-WE WILL PAY FOR YOUR CAR TO BE FIXED!!!!! wehey!!!!!!!!
he said-whats happened to your car is what we said when we changed your tyre-i was like-you didnt say anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-then he just said out of good will we will fix your car-even the body work!!!!!!!!

but bad news......... i went to an alloy wheel place when i was visiting my nan that was in Sheffield-he said that my BK racer wheels do not fit my car!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!! and he wouldnt sell me the alloy wheel bolts as he said its a death trap!!!!!-i have 2 spacers on my front wheels-i didnt know this until the wheel fell off-so he said that all that holds my wheel in place are he bolts-the wheel wont fit on the hub-ok i have quite thick tyres so need the spacers-I NEED HELP-is this true?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

so i phone a guy that sells BK wheels on the net today and he said-i dont know what that guy was talking about-then he said 2 spacers is not ideal so take them off!!!!!!

ahh im confused-HELP????!!!!!!!

helen xx.

What you need to find out is what the off-set sometimes referred to as ET off the wheels plus the width that they are so that the correct size of hub centric spacer can be used with the wheels as you shoudl not run with 2 spacers if it can be avoided. I've said before many times on the Cinq/Sei section that no one should run cheap universal spacers as what has happended to you can happen to anyone using them as they are not balanced and can vibrate the bolts loose.

As has been mentioned you may also need to run sigot rings if the hub centre is bigger than the Sei one.

There are many sites listed in teh Cinq/Sei section with threads on spacers etc

Aaron.

PS good result on the garage saying they will fix the car.

well-im taking the car to rushden 2moro to Motech-its the nearest alloy wheel place!! they reckon i'll need spigot rings and bolts and not new wheels!!-well hopefully not so fingers crossed!!!!!!!

i havent driven the car since the wheel fell off so im well scared-theres only 3 bolts on that wheel :confused: oh well....he garage that came to look at it (the 1 who fitted the wheel b4 it fell off) said its as safe as it was before!!!!

well i drove the car to rushden-the phone call i made 1st was 'hello, i have BK wheels and i think i need new bolts and spigot rings' the lady-'oh we dont deal with bk racer anymore so u'll have to bring the car down for us to see what you need'
so off i went to rushden-took 3 hours off work!!! got there and said 'hi im the girl who phoned about my wheel falling off etc....' some guy came out to look and said 'we dont deal with these wheels you'll need to go to someone that does'!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD what a waste of time!!!!!!, anyway...i got a mobile mechanic out and he said i need a new hub unit and a new wheel bearing kit-??!?!?!?!?!!!? every1 i have spoken to has said diff things-anyway he said its dangerous to drive so im carless again!! :( the thing is i bought BK bolts off the internet for my specific wheels and they are about the same length as the ones i've got in!!-i was told they were 2 short??!!??!!??!!-AAAAAAAAHHHHHH i just want my car back!!!!!!!!!

Back