Technical Warning to 20v owners

Currently reading:
Technical Warning to 20v owners

Check your oil.
My car was abit rattly, so topped oil up with a 1lt as a temp measure until I did oil change.
When I drained the oil out and measured how much was actually in the car, I found about 2.5lt(this include the extra 1lt I put in) so been running on 1 or 2lt for awhile, there was no dash light warning or anything the car just sounded abit noisier.
According to manual your supposed to run the engine until warm then turn off wait about 10 mins and then check the oil. I've done this regularly and never got consistent readings so this time rather than pay the garage alot of money to do a crap job did it myself.
Thank god I did, car is smoother and more responsive.
Do your own oil and save a few quid and know job is done properly.

Notorious , i check mine every 3/4 days(dont ask) and iv never got what i consider the same reading twice , a friend of mines getting me 8ltrs of Mobil1 for 40quid so as soon as that here i'l be changing mine too , along with a bottle of zx1 additive-used it for years, ,spot on gear-knocks seven bells outa slick50.

Joker

i'm super paranoid about oil levels since my first bottom end went.

to check the oil level correctly, get the car upto temp, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, remove the dipstick and clean, insert dipstick fully and slowly rotate 360 degrees, remove and you should have a good reading on atleast 1 side of the stick.

don't know about you guys, but mine seems to burn oil quite abit, so I fished out an oil catch tank to fit, then I'll disconnect the oil breather from the inlet so it doesn't burn any oil during combustion, but I was told if the MOT see one fitted they can fail it on emmisions??
Hope they don't notice the cat bypass pipe I got.
Please let it pass its MOT today.....?????

Joker I used to use slick50 on my first marea and the bottom end went, I was told by my mate at the garage(Betacars) not to trust additives and just change oil regularly. However I'm not entirely convinced, but don't use it anymore just incase.

Now that Betacars has closed down I can't find a decent garage to trust the car with.

Last edited:
i'm super paranoid about oil levels since my first bottom end went.

to check the oil level correctly, get the car upto temp, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, remove the dipstick and clean, insert dipstick fully and slowly rotate 360 degrees, remove and you should have a good reading on atleast 1 side of the stick.

If I do this on my GPS it tells me the oil is over full by at least a litre! I am certain this is because the dipstick tube picks up oil from the distick when you first remove it and then deposits a blob on the dipstick when you do the second dip.

Models are different, I found the most accurate way is to trust what the dipstick says on the first removal after the car has been stood for a few hours, removing the risk of getting a random blob!

Notorious , - iv used zx1 fot about 11yrs and NEVER had any probs with it im petrol or diesel cars iv had- except when i double dosed my citroen diesel-it ran too well and i had to drain all the oil out and run it around for 3 days -My fault as i was warned 'not' to do it.

Joker

Once you've lossed one bottom end "as they say" you become very paranoid.
I used to have a seriously modded Lancia Beta Spyder and I kept destroying engines until I finally got hold of a baffled sump and then some little scum bag nicked it.
I'm still tempted to get some oil additive but with things the way the are I'm just happy to have the car running and some transport.

Back