Technical Want to turbocharge a Zastava in the US

Currently reading:
Technical Want to turbocharge a Zastava in the US

HoserRacing

Ok, I've always loved oddball cars, learned how to work on an X1/9 as my first car. I've got a Zastava right now that I'd like to put an Uno Turbo set-up on to embarass some of the Hondas around here. I've got a 1500 engine from an X1/9, lightened flywheel, Zastava f.i. head, euro spec cam, and some suspension goodies to start with, but I figure a turbo would be a much better boost (ha-ha) than the ported/polished head/cam set-up that I could bolt on. Looking at some of the guys that have turbo'd X1/9s, it looks like my best bet is to start with an Uno Turbo manifold & downpipe. What I'd like to know is what manifolds will fit this engine (same family as the 1.1/1.3/1.5) and how can I get one to the US? Thanks,
David

This has been done, albeit the x1/9 'turbo' modded engine into a fiat uno, and with a bit of searching, you should be able to find some posts on here I believe. The manifolds should fit the x1/9 head(although I guess the head would some preparation port wise for the manilfolds, and it may depend on the year of the head casting used as to how much work is needed) The uno turbo engine is the 1301/1372 variant of the x1/9 lampredi design engine. I think it would be far easier if you can locate a complete uno 1372cc turbo engine. (There are quite a few in UK still available) as this will surely save a lot of time,effort, money trying to prepare the 1500 engine/pistons etc for turbo use. The x/19 gearbox can be modified to take mk1 turbo gear internals too. Regards, Chris

Back