Technical Petrol to Diesel

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol to Diesel

JosephR

Hello. I’m looking to remove the 1.0 petrol engine in my late Mk2 Uno and replace it with the standard Uno 1.7 diesel engine. The question I have is will it fit and what else might I need to consider? Thanks for your help.

Hello. I’m looking to remove the 1.0 petrol engine in my late Mk2 Uno and replace it with the standard Uno 1.7 diesel engine. The question I have is will it fit and what else might I need to consider? Thanks for your help.
You are probably setting yourself up for a lot of work unless you have both vehicles side by side to do the conversion, many years ago I did it with two Peugeot 504s, petrol automatic to diesel manual, on that model everything interchanged and the only thing I had to add was a return pipe for the diesel to the fuel tank.
Out of choice I would go for the slightly later 1.9 diesel, pre ecu if possible as 1.7 now a bit obscure for parts etc. one of my daughters had one as her first car, but rust got it in the end.
Another point is the weight difference affecting suspension/handling etc. Also the legal requirements, insurance, details in V5/logbook etc. etc.emissions laws etc. Insurance companies would like proof conversion was carried out by qualified engineer etc. I suspect the legal aspect these days will prove every bit as hard as the mechanical challenges.;)

You are probably setting yourself up for a lot of work unless you have both vehicles side by side to do the conversion, many years ago I did it with two Peugeot 504s, petrol automatic to diesel manual, on that model everything interchanged and the only thing I had to add was a return pipe for the diesel to the fuel tank.
Out of choice I would go for the slightly later 1.9 diesel, pre ecu if possible as 1.7 now a bit obscure for parts etc. one of my daughters had one as her first car, but rust got it in the end.
Another point is the weight difference affecting suspension/handling etc. Also the legal requirements, insurance, details in V5/logbook etc. etc.emissions laws etc. Insurance companies would like proof conversion was carried out by qualified engineer etc. I suspect the legal aspect these days will prove every bit as hard as the mechanical challenges.;)
Thank you very much for your reply. That’s much appreciated.

Back