Volvo - Death Free cars

Currently reading:
Volvo - Death Free cars

Just to differ from all the replies on this:

I would like to know which would save more lives.

1) investing tons into volvo's safety systems which the average person probably cannot afford

2) invest in driver safety awareness courses, advertising, advanced driving promotion etc etc.

The root cause of an accident, most of the time, is the driver. Educate the driver, educate future drivers, spread the devastation caused by driving like a complete w*****.

Yes, i agree auto braking when a person may have fell to sleep at the wheel or reacting to built up traffic infront on a motorway, that may have gone unnoticed. But introducing things such as "car trains" etc, all seems a bit like the titanic to me - unsinkable, but yet couldnt be further from the truth.

Maybe im being skeptical, time will tell.

Last edited:
2, every time.

The problem with improving cars is that people will heavily rely on it. Then if the system is controlling/driving the car and it fails, will the driver be able to take control in a split second? No chance!

Dom

If you think about it this way, mobile phones have become a large part of most peoples everyday life, imagine a situation where your phone had no battery and you needed it, for example the car has broken down on a random country road and your phone has no battery, probably one of the worst times you could have no battery. Obviously a few years ago we didn't have mobile phones, since mobile phones (and various other technologies) we have become reliant on them and therefore when they don't work we get all stressed.
If one day we start putting too much reliance on these cars and one fails, rather than just having to walk miles down a country road to the nearest telephone to call the AA, you could be in a potentially serious accident.

ISTR that the latest jets are all fly by wire?

I wonder how they cope...

IIRC they have massive system redundancy, saw a doc on the A320 once and I seem to remember it has 6 identical flight computers which are all fed the same information and the results compared and if one of them disagrees with the majority it is shut down. This was 20 years ago though so things may have changed. Can't see car manufacturers doing the same though.

Back