Visiting London

Currently reading:
Visiting London

mynodelic

Hey guys,

Finally I'm visiting london for the first time.
I was wondering if there's any event or anything that TOURISTS wouldn't know about.

I'm going from 19th to 30th of may.
Any abarth meet maybe? :p

Get an Oyster card, you'll realise you'll need it when you find how spread out everything is.

To be honest there is so much going on anyway that you'll be hard pressed to fit anything non touristy in.

My advice is don't.

Never been in such a miserable, run down, "foreign" place in the whole of the UK. I booked a 4 night stay in central London, I saw the sights I wanted to see and went home two days early :eek:.

It's NOT just you,
I live an hour away and have been 3 times in 10 years,

bought 3 x Oystercards at 5pm for an overnight stay in "Canary Wharf" for O2

got up Sat morning went to tube.. tickets run out at midnight,

tempted to tow my cases behind a "Boris bike.."!!:devil:

My advice is don't.

Never been in such a miserable, run down, "foreign" place in the whole of the UK. I booked a 4 night stay in central London, I saw the sights I wanted to see and went home two days early :eek:.

I agree, I moved away from London back in November and haven't regretted it for a second. Don't miss it at all and when I occasionally go to visit family the traffic drives me insane.

i've been a couple of times and the only place i'd say visit is the imperial war museum , apart from that that's it , a highly overated , over crowded and WAY overpriced place

It might seem a very obvious and touristy place, but Covent Garden is worth a look. We've been there twice in the last two years and,certainly this year, the quality of goods on sale in the market and the street performers were far better than I expected. i even bought some clothes for a wedding we're going to from a shop just off Southampton Row in Holborn for considerably less than I could have got them in Manchester.

The Imperial War Museum as doggybob said is well worth a visit, allow half a day. The Ace Cafe as dave mentioned is also worth dropping into even if you only stop for a coffee and a bacon roll. I went there a few years ago on my motorbike on a week day and while I was trying to find a good spot to take a photo with the cafe in the background a man wandered up and made a few suggestions, even helping me manhandle the beast into position for a good picture. It turned out he owned the place.

We've eaten quite a few times in the White Lion and found the food to be very good quality and prices really quite reasonable especially considering where it is.

http://www.coventgardenlondonuk.com/pubs/white-lion-pub

Maybe it's because I live 200 miles away as well as the fact that my mother's family all hail from the East End that I enjoy going there, but we'll be going back next year as well for a visit. In fairness we never "do the tourist thing" wherever we go; London, Paris, Rome, New York or Venice, much preferring to be part of the area and not just a visitor. There are plenty of good pubs and loads of shops that are not aimed at the tourists and just to walk past the Royal Courts of Justice, sit outside Somerset House and have a coffee or do the same in Simpson's in the Strand is all part of the experience.

http://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/

Last year we went to Kensington High Street to try and find where Mrs. Beard used to work in the '70s. Although Biba has long gone, there is still a department store there with a restaurant on the top floor and a roof garden which is now a branch of the Virgin empire. Pretty expensive but for the price of a cocktail or two you can spend time with the penguins and "cows" and get a view that takes in most of London from Battersea Power Station to Canary Wharf.

http://www.virginlimitededition.com/en/the-roof-gardens

London, like most places, is what you make it. Whereas some European cities are stuck very much in previous centuries and others have been re-built after bombing, in a similar way to how they were beforehand, London has replaced some old buildings with new, and in some cases, very new structures which can make it look a bit mixed up from some viewpoints, but it doesn't have the graffiti of Rome, the rudeness of Paris or the stag parties of Amsterdam, Prague or Hamburg.

Last edited:
Well I didnt expect this tbh :p.
Im visiting london cause of my gf and we have the advantage that we r staying at her brothers place and we are coming from the middle east so I guess we should enjoy it. :p
thanks for the links guys.
I found london motor museum is it good?
I went to modena last year and visited ferrari lambo and pagani workshops so Im afraid that I cannot find anything beautiful as that experience I had in italy.
AAANd why the heck is football games that expensive. Even the silliest games were about 300 pounds which is almost 450$!!!!!
where can I find like arsenal fan pub or chelsea fan pub....? Since im not paying 300£

Well I didnt expect this tbh :p.

Im visiting london cause of my gf and we have the advantage that we r staying at her brothers place and we are coming from the middle east so I guess we should enjoy it. :p

thanks for the links guys.

I found london motor museum is it good?

I went to modena last year and visited ferrari lambo and pagani workshops so Im afraid that I cannot find anything beautiful as that experience I had in italy.

AAANd why the heck is football games that expensive. Even the silliest games were about 300 pounds which is almost 450$!!!!!

where can I find like arsenal fan pub or chelsea fan pub....? Since im not paying 300£

The motor museum is in Covent Garden unlike most London museums it's not free to get it, but not hugely expensive, Other museums like the national portrait gallery, the science and natural history museums and the British museum are all free, not far from Covent Garden is seven dials which is another shopping area filled with cool little shops.

Regent street has the Ferrari store and the lotus store the ice bar is also in the area where you can get a drink from a bar made entirely from ice, and this not far from there is Carnaby street (last time I was there we saw Samuel L Jackson) which is a throwback to the 60s

If you want to head down to see St. Paul's cathedral or the gherkin then there is also spittlefields market nearby full of cool old antiques and shops selling vintage style clothes.

There is also the west end where you'll find in between all the major west end show, quite a few small shows and plays which don't cost a lot.

As for the foot ball it seems you really need to book tickets up mega early to not pay the silly prices, arsenals website suggests they start at £50 but have all sold out now at the lower prices.

I'm pretty certain there are no club specific bars in London because this would usually end up with morons from different clubs attack it or going in to cause trouble

Leicester Square has a lot of cinemas and the area around Covent Garden and Drury Lane have a lot of theatres and these are probably best booked well in advance, preferably online.

The museum in Covent Garden will be the London Transport Museum and, although it'll need an underground journey on the Northern Line to Colindale and a 10 minute walk, the RAF Museum at Hendon is also well worth a visit and, along with many museums if free to get in.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/

Last edited:
Back