Technical very stiff 4th gear

Currently reading:
Technical very stiff 4th gear

I used WD40 initially (had that to hand) but latterly used some no-nonsense penetrating oil from screwfix - which worked well.

White grease would probably be best though....... once the cables have been 'cleaned' out.
Suspect the process would be more easily achieved with the car up on a ramp (y)

to revive an old-ish thread...but Ive been doing some googleing as its not as bad as it used to be but my car is perfect and a dodgy 4th wrecks the experiance...some multipla owners have half drained the box, filled with diesel driven for a bit and flushed it out, and i found that an Alfa owner removed some swarf from inside the gearbox...

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_4th_gear.shtml

now do you reckon either of these is worth a try? my mechanic is stumped (haven't suggested either of these to him) its been I'm 4 times FOC for him to try something, the linkages have been WELLLLL greased by me...when the linkages are detached from the box the stick moves like silk...would RELAY like to sort it...if i cant then its going to A&M gearboxes and a wallet rape...ill have all the time in the world next week to tinker, so any suggestions are welcomed...

Back