Technical Very weird noise (recording inc)

Currently reading:
Technical Very weird noise (recording inc)

Radias16

Hi all..

My stilo makes a crackling/grainy/static noise, but only when the car is off. It seems to come from either the dashboard area that has the speed counters or just below it where the steering wheel arm goes in.

To make it even more confusing, if I open the door the sounds stops and it comes back shortly after I close the door again.

If I start the car the sound stops again.

I have included a recording of it, it sounds a bit less echoey than the recording in real life.

Please can any kind soul help me?

I've heard the noise you mean.. I think it's the stepper motors inside the clocks (e.g. fuel and temperature gauges) doing something, like re-setting themselves. It'd be interesting to know whether you've seen the dial needles moving at the same time (although mine didn't, as far as I recall).

My entire clock console packed up and died not long afterwards.. o_O so it might be bad news.

But meanwhile, you can have a look at the fuse that controls the services... I think it's F14 in the small fuse box under the dash .. to make sure it's seated properly and not loose/cutting in and out.

Also check your battery connections.. mine makes/made? that noise if I reconnect the battery.

If you get more worried, it may be worth taking the clocks out, at least to get access behind them. There are 2 or 3 plugs connected to the rear and it's worth having a look to see that they're all tight and not about to come off. They're the type with a lever arm that you lift and that unlocks the connector.. or push down to bring the two halves together.

If one or more of your dials pack up, you can get them repaired if you know simple soldering.. or if they all die, you can tap up @yellowstilo on here and he'll fix it at mate's rates.. :unsure:

Ralf S.

Back