Technical very hot exhaust...

Currently reading:
Technical very hot exhaust...

Hi,

I'm back...and guess what...nothing has changed :mad: ...the nerve :bang:
Okay, engine is a little smoother but still idle is rough and nonexistent, exhaust very hot.
Trying to diagnose further, i checked the digiplex unit and i noticed something strange : when monitoring the vacuum from the diag line, i get a value in the range of -200/-250 mmHg at idle (that is, between 800 and 1000rpm) and ignition advance is around 4°
As soon as i rev the engine to ~1300rpm, the pressure reaches -400mmHg, then drops again as i open the throttle further.
So why on earth do i have lesser vacuum at idle than i have at fast idle? clogged exhaust? any help happily welcome!

all the best,
zp

Hi!

I solved the problem replacing the rubber sole under the carb.
There weren't cracks in the rubber but it looks like the sole wasn't flat anymore, causing a vacuum leak between the sole and the carb.
The sole is very difficult to replace (four 10mm bolts, two of which are pretty difficult to reach) and i had to saw a wrench to loosen the two rear bolts.
I still need to adjust carb settings but it's going better now!

all the best,
zp

Hi,

My Tempra passed the technical inspection with success!
The report says : smog test, CO at idle 0.12%
Now isn't that nice!!

All the best,
zp*

to replace it do you need to remove the manifold or can it be done, (with great difficulty) with everything else in place? i've got a the rubber piece the carb sits on (sole?) and was going to fit it but haynes manual didn't say how to do it, but says to remove carb you need to remove manifolds?

Hi,

You can replace the rubber mount with everything in place, there are four 10mm bolts. The two front ones are easy, the two rear ones are more tricky as access is difficult, between the manifolds. You'll need a tube wrench, a socket and ratchet wrench or spanners won't work.
I'd rather replace the mount in situ than remove the manifold (manifolds are difficult to remove, you need new gaskets, bolts are difficult to reach)

all the best,
zp

:eek: WoW did you use a dremmel with a small wire brush attachment to get head as shinny as that? Great job with the rebuild btw, glad u got it sorted (y)

28545180.jpg

Hi,

You can replace the rubber mount with everything in place, there are four 10mm bolts. The two front ones are easy, the two rear ones are more tricky as access is difficult, between the manifolds. You'll need a tube wrench, a socket and ratchet wrench or spanners won't work.
I'd rather replace the mount in situ than remove the manifold (manifolds are difficult to remove, you need new gaskets, bolts are difficult to reach)

all the best,
zp

i gave up when attempting to do this. i'm going to leave it to when the next time the exhaust goes. (which may be with a bit of help:rolleyes: ) as it's been done recently. and the bloke who does it is cheap and very good.

Back