General Running Tempra without hot air conveyor

Currently reading:
General Running Tempra without hot air conveyor

Hi!

My Tempra has a broken conveyor, the metal pipe attached to it broke during a repair. It isn't a major issue during summer but in winter, this way, it takes more time for the engine to warm up.

Is it safe to run the engine without that conveyor? I would like to know so that I may try to remove it for having a smith solder the broken pipe. I mean, is there a risk of something else overheating because of hot air going elsewhere?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is this a pipe made from aluminium that takes hot air from the exhaust area and feeds it back to the air box, so the engine heats up quicker when cold?

I cant see that it would cause a major effect in the winter, if I remember correctly my old Uno had one of these pipes that was linked to a bi-metallic spring loaded device in the air box, that would snap a flap shut leading from the pipe once the engine had warmed up. It never made much difference fitted or removed.

if it is just the pipe from the exhaust manifold it may just assist starting in winter as phil said the bimetal thingy will mean the engine gets the warmer air which may assist the vapourization of fuel in winter but once warm it should function fine by itself. my car runs fine without it though since i've been a lazy sod it's rarely been tryed in below zero conditions.

Well the pipe isn't directly connected to the manifold, but it is on a device made of what seems thin sheet metal, and the pipe broke away from it. I would like to know if there would be some damage by removing that thin part which covers the exaust manifold, for running the car without it as soon as I try to get the pipe soldered: if FIAT put the pipe there, I am of the idea it helps a lot :)

Well the pipe isn't directly connected to the manifold, but it is on a device made of what seems thin sheet metal, and the pipe broke away from it. I would like to know if there would be some damage by removing that thin part which covers the exaust manifold, for running the car without it as soon as I try to get the pipe soldered: if FIAT put the pipe there, I am of the idea it helps a lot :)

Its there to get warm air into the air filter for quicker warm ups in the winter. You could get it repaired or fit a new one. Should not affect the car otherwise.

Do you still need the long wheel nuts for the alloys ?

Sorry for the late reply, have been on a long holiday and when I returned the PC had big problems :mad:

Its there to get warm air into the air filter for quicker warm ups in the winter. You could get it repaired or fit a new one. Should not affect the car otherwise.

Good to know, will try to get mine fixed.

Do you still need the long wheel nuts for the alloys ?

No thanks, I repainted the steel wheels and will keep them, was not able to find a good bargain for original Tempra alloys :(

Back