Technical very dodgy noise

Currently reading:
Technical very dodgy noise

cinquechicken

heyhey

i was driving my way to college as normal when all of a sudden a dreadfull noise was coming out of the engine...grinding is the closest i can describe it to. so called RAC ...but as always noise stopped when they arrived. all was fine till i drove home and the same happend again, and this time i noticed when ever the noise happend there was a silver disc type thing down the left hand side at the font of the engine just infront of the radiator started spining like crazy. it wasnt related to any breaking, clutch, or accelerator pressing and still continued when the engine was turned off

any ideas?

em

its not the electric cooling fan, jammed/smashed on something is it?

it does sound like something to do with the fan, its the only thing that'll still spin with the engine off

Yeah it sounds like the cooling fan, u can short it out with a fused connection to check:

take the cable out of the side and u'll be left with a two pin connector socket, run a cable from one of the ports to one side of the fuse, and do the same with the other side (to the other side of the fuse) careful when u connect it cus it'll give off a spark, you should hear the fan kick in, if its the same noise that ur getting normally then it is the fan. They're standard across the range so nip down the scrappy and get a new one. Not to hard to fit, can't remember whether i had to take the arch liner out to get at the screw, think i may have

hope its of some help

sig1.jpg

an easier way of testing the fan is to remove the wire going to the fan switch on the right hand side, middle, of the radiator. Short the connections together and the fan should spin.
To unplug the fan and test it the other way requires the car to be jacked up iirc.. well it did on mine

Cinq Sporting - and yes, its broom yellow!

Back