VCDS..vw diagnostics..tell me more

Currently reading:
VCDS..vw diagnostics..tell me more

That was a very interesting video and I'm going to watch it again, maybe more than once, but I think I'm glad I bought the VAG-COM and would make the same decision again if I was going for one today.
If I wanted more than just the occasional service reset, I'd probably go for VCDS too. For a simple oil & filter change, getting that done at a garage would be cheaper than buying VCDS, which is why I went for OBDeleven. Like all things for smartphones, it tends towards presentation rather than funtion. (It is the way the world is going, sadly. Never mind the quality, doesn't it look pretty.)

If I wanted more than just the occasional service reset, I'd probably go for VCDS too. For a simple oil & filter change, getting that done at a garage would be cheaper than buying VCDS, which is why I went for OBDeleven. Like all things for smartphones, it tends towards presentation rather than funtion. (It is the way the world is going, sadly. Never mind the quality, doesn't it look pretty.)
Ah well, you see, I'd fall at the first fence there - don't have a smart phone!

Well a few weeks have passed..

Latest ECU was 'rewritten' by a mobile ECU expert
He found errord that could NOT be cleared.. however it DID start 100%.. so some progress

Thats all 3 ECUs showing the 'timing error'.. so back to the query of poor wiring

Several places were hesitant
( understandably).. but one suggested a company Ive heard of for years..

So off it went... eventually.. it refused to fire!!

Generally very positive...
VVT is compromised.. poor oilflow
Wiring is sound
Timing lock pinss cannot be entered..out of position.. HOW..?? Its been timed and retimed @5 times 2 new kits at two different garages

Sounding like progress :)

Oilflow to the VVT compromised might suggest oilflow to the head overall is compromised. A diesel, with perhaps infrequent oil changes in the past, some goo in the oilways. Camshaft might be getting tight causing timing to shift. If possible, the cam bearing caps, if it has them, need lifting and see what state the bearings are in.
If I remember correctly, this is a low mileage car. If servicing was infrequent, especially a diesel, as they do not like low mileages, oil goo is very likely. Diesels take such a long time to warm up, if used for short journeys, the oil dies very quickly. Might be just the engine that does benefit from a flush.

A current situation update:

3rd garage found no communication errors ( for timing)
Moved onto mechanical valve timing..
'Oh no..a waste of labour' .. only look: replace no parts ( its had new belt kits at 2 different garages)

3rd carage couldnt get locking pin in inlet camshaft..
yes..its out of time !!!!!!!!

Timed correctly..all is good

Then investigated the VERY longterm cooling motor error

Investigated by FIVE garages..!!

A broken wire (in plain sight)

A timely reminder why I like doing my own work. :)

Back