General Valve clearnaces

Currently reading:
General Valve clearnaces

Hi all

Our 60hp 1.2 2005 has had oil changed every year at about 7k miles, now on 95k and still doesnt make any tappet noise to the point that ive never even considered checking them even though ive changed the cam gasket about 3 times due to slight seepage. semi synthetic oil everytime.

Tim

This engines have valve shims so they tend to become tight not loose, mainly exhaust valves because of the temperature. Those who become tappy are screw/nut valve types not this ones. Never checked my 20yeqrs old Punto with 220000km nor my panda mk2 with 130000km...

Are they not shims and buckets like the Imp, Rover 2000 & many other older engines? Exceptionally reliable indeed and adjustment usually never needed unless the head was stripped.

Are they not shims and buckets like the Imp, Rover 2000 & many other older engines? Exceptionally reliable indeed and adjustment usually never needed unless the head was stripped.
Yes they are shims and buckets just like on most modern engines. In theory they should be checked around 80000km but nobody does that and even official dealers simply ignore this service.

Allegedly the valve stems can minutely stretch. This reduces valve clearance, certainly never came across the valve clearance tightening on well used Imp engines and I'd suspect modern materials are better.

All modern engines I've encountered have hydraulic lifters that are self adjusting..... Supposedly.

Back