Technical Vacuum problem? EGR and Brake Servo probs

Currently reading:
Technical Vacuum problem? EGR and Brake Servo probs

Afternoon all

Here's hoping that fellow Multipla drivers are looking in and can help me out.

I have a Y-reg 110JTD, with ~80k on the clock. Two problems are occurring, and I'm wondering if they're related, and how to cure them

(1) the 'usual' problem of lack of low-end power, black smoke if asking the car to pull too hard at low revs rather than changing gear, and tendancy to stall pulling away -- which I believe indicates EGR valve problems.

(2) The brake servo is doing something 'odd'. if you brake hard, its fine. But on braking gently, eg on long approaches to roundabouts, the pedal seems to be going down further than before. Brakes still work, just 'soft' pedal. If engine is off, all is well with brakes, so I suspect servo related.

Both these items (EGR and servo) use the vacuum system (so far as I understand). Do these symptoms suggest faulty vac pump? Or a leak Or both? Or should I be looking at something completely different? eg, is there a non-return valve somewhere, or a part that needs replacing 'routinely' (eg filter) at this mileage that maybe hasn't been?

Help appreciated

Pete
(the pic shows a Panda as I'm also a Panda 4x4 owner)

Last edited:
Sadly, no one came back to me on this, but I can report the outcome...

Vacuum tube was loose on the pump, but that wan't the issue.

Dismantled and cleaned EGR valve (as described elsewhere) and all is well there now (like new).

The brake issue was more curious, and maybe worrying? The self-adjuster had dropped out from between the shoes. I've put it back and adjusted as far as I can with the drum off, but its not taking up the slack once drum replaced. I need a new adjuster there I guess.

Vacuum tube was loose on the pump, but that wan't the issue.

Dismantled and cleaned EGR valve (as described elsewhere) and all is well there now (like new).

The brake issue was more curious, and maybe worrying? The self-adjuster had dropped out from between the shoes. I've put it back and adjusted as far as I can with the drum off, but its not taking up the slack once drum replaced. I need a new adjuster there I guess.

good work dude

make sure the id of the drums are in spec.....

seems like egr valves are a common problem across ALL makes of diesel engines.....I've lost count of how many I've cleaned or replaced/disabled.

Last edited:

Yes, I've had the self-adjuster drop out of position- you need to manually turn it till it fits snugly between the shoes. If the adjuster wasn't seized, it maybe just needs to "take up the slack" some more- I found that operating the handbrake and footbrake about 50 or so times made it work again. Assuming your handbrake cable is correctly adjusted and also not seized!

Back