Ducato Urgent help needed. 1993 2.5 turbo diesal lhd engine

Currently reading:
Ducato Urgent help needed. 1993 2.5 turbo diesal lhd engine

Newmotorhomies

Helllllppppppp
I have a k reg 1993 motorhome. 2.5 turbo diesal Left hand drive. Timing belt was fitted incorrectly and the engine has dropped a valve and probably knackered the piston. Got photos if that helps. I need a replacement engine or a rebuild on this one.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Pictures here....

Attachments

• 20181003_110536.jpg
    20181003_110536.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 62
  • 20181003_112131.jpg
    20181003_112131.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 20181003_111823.jpg
    20181003_111823.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 64
Pictures here....
That will be a replacement engine required. With that amount of damage it's not worth the effort of a rebuild, with the high risk that you missed something.

What is the base vehicle ('93 was a changeover year) and what is the engine code?

Who did the timing belt? If it was a garage they are liable.

Last edited:
Whats the base vehicle mean? Engine code 32011. Not sure who did the timing belt at the moment. I am being ignored by the seller and he won't tell me who did the belt. We only drove 20miles from purchasing it and it died. Ci wilk is the motorhome name, was imported from Germany. We are at a loss......

Base model is what the motor home was built on / from particuarly the model year, was it a first or second generation model?

32011 sounds lke a serial number. the engine type will be something like 8140.27
Did you buy it privately? If it was any kind of a trader, dealer or business (even one without a showroom) they are liable for selling a servicable vehicle.

Robert G8RPI.

I have checked and I can't find an engine number on the paperwork. It was a private sale and the seller is now ignoring me. I have told him I will take him to court. Ideally I want to repair the engine or replace it but everything seems to be against me with the age of the vehicle 1993 and that it is left hand drive.
Daft question..... If I buy an engine block that is out a right hand drive will all my bits ( turbo, manifold etc) fit onto the block? I have looked at some engines and the manifold is in a different position to what mine is.....

Thanks

Private seller, no chance of any come back, its buyer beware.

On the engine itself will be the engine code. The long assembly will be the same RHD or LHD, it will just be ancillaries in different places to suit steering column routing.

Putting your details into EPER (on here) will reveal a lot.

D

<SNIP>

Daft question..... If I buy an engine block that is out a right hand drive will all my bits ( turbo, manifold etc) fit onto the block? I have looked at some engines and the manifold is in a different position to what mine is.....

Thanks
Yes, th Block is the same.
Looking on ebay an engine from mainland europe might be easier/cheaper even allowing for shipping.
Don't rule out buying a complete donor panel van rather thn just an engine, it's probably cheaper. Most people buying spare engines for this age of van are motorhome owners. The scrappers know this so prces are correspondingly high.

If you have the sellers name and address get right on to placing a claim online. It's not a huge cost and getting some paperwork from the court might at least get a response from them. The big disadavantge you have is that you dismantled the engine without their permission.

Thank you. I have shown my partner all the messages. Fingers crossed we get somewhere. I am hoping to win in court. Thanks again.

As long as the court isn't costing you anything.

It was a private sale and even if the belt had been fitted incorrectly by a registered contractor (garage or the likes) the contract for that fitting is not with you its with the previous owner.

D

How do you know the belt was fitted incorrectly?

It's a 25yr old engine, I can't see the courts siding with you on this, it's a private sale and unless you can prove the seller knew of an underlying fault you'll be going home emptyhanded.

My 2000 camper snapped an injector this summer, the tip is lodged somewhere in the combustion chamber or piston. It was not as a result of bad maintenance or abuse, it just failed. But if you had asked me 5mins before it happened if I had any doubts about the engine I would have said no.

Helllllppppppp
I have a k reg 1993 motorhome. 2.5 turbo diesal Left hand drive. Timing belt was fitted incorrectly and the engine has dropped a valve and probably knackered the piston. Got photos if that helps. I need a replacement engine or a rebuild on this one.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

hi. I have done a spot of research re your engine and it would appear you would have a SOFIM 8140-27 SOHC 8 V direct injection you should be able to find engine model number on a plate on the top cross member. further helpful info go to FIAT DUCATO WIKIPEDIA. GOOD LUCK.

Thank you. I got a code of 814021. I will have a look on Wikipedia. Defiantly the timing belt incorrectly fitted. A mechanic has told me So.

Can't seem to find any 814027.... Will any other fit. Found a 814067..... this is driving me mad....

Thank you for your help

go to FIAT DUCATO WIKIPEDIA every engine ever used is listed there and there is NO 8140-21 listed there is a 8144-21 listed as a 2.449td so I suggest you recheck. further update the 8140-67 is a 2nd generation engine and its non turbo and its the IVECO engine so fittings totally different.

Last edited:
I had a valve seat drop out on mine , not long after head skimmed.Destroyed my
Engine & turbo ,make sure no bits gone into your turbo

It will be a 8140.27 engine. It's easy to misread a 7 as a 1.
Lots of others can be made to fit but would require some degree of skill ranging from working out what bits to keep from the old engne to fabricating mounts and re-wiring depending on the engine chosen. No disrespect, but it sounds like you will be struggling with anything more cmplex thn RHD 8140.27.

Robert G8RPI.

While a court is unlikey to find in favour on such an old car the very act of issuing a claim may produce a partial refund from the seller.

Cheers Robert that is the engine number. All help much appreciated..... our hunt for an engine continues. We are taking the seller to court. More to prove a point than anything. Will keep you updated. Thanks again for all your help and advice ?

Back