Styling Under Bonnet Rennovations.

Currently reading:
Styling Under Bonnet Rennovations.

Took some inspiration from Brin on this undertaking. I'm in the process of painting up parts of the engine block. Looking very good so far, compared to before. :p.

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

With only side support and rocker cover painted.
IMG_1110.JPG

Just need to give the silver ones another coat, then I can touch up the blue paint. After exams, when I have more times, will paint up the coil pack and possibly the visible part of the TB.

Also, a few parts of the actual body paint inside of the bonnet where the paint is starting to flake, so will be getting some same colour paint to make them look decent again.

Going to take out the battery, and the holder and give it a decent clean under that. 9 years of grime doesn't look great ;)

Going to give the support which holds the battery into the holder a lick of paint aswell, as its starting to chip off.

Going to try and tidy up the cables as much as I can. Might invest in a blue silicone pipe for the induction kit, but its not a big deal atm.

Was condsidering, once I've finished the next coat of blue.. to stencil on something to the top of it in silver or light blue.

Like the old style fiat badge, or punto mk2 ect.. But not too sure. Might look awful. ;)

Anyway, that's the jist of my latest venture. :slayer:

It's a nice assumption, but knowing me, probably not. No idea if its suitable for high temp. It was good value for money and looks incredible.
If it goes manky, I'll just wire brush it off and paint it with some high temp stuff.

But have read great reviews about people using it for that type of thing, so am pinning my hopes on people i've never met. :p.

Hammerite looks ok until its really hard then it chips VERY easily. Its worst on aluminium.

It cant really cope on the manifold, but unless its shot blasted anything else will fall off including VHT paint.

Last edited:
Hammerite looks ok until its really hard then it chips VERY easily. Its worst on aluminium.

It cant really cope on the manifold, but unless its shot blasted anything else will fall off including VHT paint.

To be honest, I'm not really expecting it to last long on the manifold. Didn't realise how hot that thing got. Had my engine on for like a minute, decided to touch it for some reason.. and lets just say I'm lucky to still have a fingerprint. :rolleyes:

Some places were after £20+ for a can of VHT paint. When I can get hammerite for less than a fiver, it seemed like the logical choice for a student. Plus it looks mental. :p.

I'll just have to re-do it every month or something. (y)

It is possible to get an industrial aluminium paint that will easily handle exhaust manifolds. Its cheap too but you'll have to ask around.

This would be the stuff
Ally paint

When you can afford a more permanent solution, stove enamel is actually much lower cost than folks expect. Its heat resistant to 200C so still maybe not for the exhaust, but on engine parts and brackets it looks really great.

Before:
Camboxbefore.jpg

After:
Camboxafter.jpg

And that cost me £20

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I've seen that stuff around. Will have to get me a silver one. The paint on the rocker cover, engine supports are still fine after an hour drive. But the paint on the manifold has indeed burnt and smells fairly bad. YAY! :/

Going to wire brush it off once it's cooled down and will spray it in a couple of weeks. Don't have the time atm.

Just went and brushed the top of the manifold free of paint. This is going to be a fun job. Will try and do some more tomorrow. Hopefully it'll fall off by its own.

Where I've painted the rocker cover with the blue hammerite, it seems alright to the eye, but when you touch it you can feel its slightly soft, and can be impressioned with a finger nail.

So, after my exams, will be scraping all that paint off :-/, and replacing with some heat resistant paint to 150C, which should hopefully do the trick for that.

Will buy a heat resistant to 500C paint spray for the manifold.

Grrr. Teach me to try and save some money. :p. Just created a couple hours work for myself, minimum. Oh joy.

looking goood mate, looks much better now, i need to sort mine out lol, im gonna rip the manifold heat shield of does this effect the car in any way???

paint the exhaust manifold black, mounting arm black, fuse box black, and neaten up the neons wires they really **** me off lol(y)

btw have you painted the whole engine block??? how did you do this everything comes in my way lol and how did you spray the manifold so good??

cheers mate if i can be bothered il paint the block black and sump red but doubt il get that far lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. It looks exactly the same now, except the paint on the manifold is all burnt and flaking off. Going to wire brush it off and spray black with silver streaks.

No idea about the heat shield, mine never had one.

No, I haven't paint the whole block, just the front of it.

The blue paint in the picture is still soft, and can be impressioned with a finger nail. Is this likely to harden off ?
I'm going to give it a week, and if its still soft will be scraping it off and starting again.

I didn't spray it, used a tin of paint and a brush. :p

I'm only going to paint what you can see from the bonnet.
Will do the visible parts of the tb, and the coil pack.

Yeah, I know. It looks exactly the same now, except the paint on the manifold is all burnt and flaking off. Going to wire brush it off and spray black with silver streaks.

No idea about the heat shield, mine never had one.

No, I haven't paint the whole block, just the front of it.

The blue paint in the picture is still soft, and can be impressioned with a finger nail. Is this likely to harden off ?
I'm going to give it a week, and if its still soft will be scraping it off and starting again.

I didn't spray it, used a tin of paint and a brush. :p

I'm only going to paint what you can see from the bonnet.
Will do the visible parts of the tb, and the coil pack.

yeah will harden off mine wass soft for 2 days i think then was fine after that mate

and lol i like your thinking only paint whats visible, if you want exhaust spray go to your local motor shop and they have high temp exhaust spray i used this on my calpiers and drums, its up to like 800 C

Back