General Ulysse battery / economy mode problem

Currently reading:
General Ulysse battery / economy mode problem

s88ahg

Can anyone suggest how to resolve an issue i have with a 04 reg Fiat Ulysse.

Yesterday the car failed to start - recovery driver believed the battery was flat. Car stated it was in Economy mode.

New battery fitted this morning - car still won't start and it would now appear that the new battery has also gone flat.

I've tried disconnecting battery for 15mins but still no joy.:confused::confused:

Any suggestions please???:worship:

is this something only the dealer can do?

Any idea of how much it usually costs?

can it be done at home as would need recovery service to get car to dealer?

Thanks for your reply

only the remote locking works - everything else is as it is when the car is in economy mode (as stated on the display).

When ignition key is turned there is no attempt by the car to start.

Help please!!:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Basically economy mode is shipping mode,sometimes it can slip back into economy mode due to voltage problems.

I'd try disconnecting battery for one minute then reconnecting,lock/unlock doors 3 times then try and start.

If this proves unsuccesful have a look at battery fusebox for signs of water ingress.

Hi - still no luck. Tried disconnecting the battery for a minute (tired several times).:(

Still no response when ignition key turned. Sometimes,the car wouldn't lock after reconnecting the battery and could only get it working by keeping the lock button pressed on the key with it in the ignition switch and turning to II as i've previous threads.

No sign or water ingress at all - please, any more suggestions??:worship:

a thousand thanks for your help so far - only wish my Fiat main dealer was this helpful !!!

Thanks for your help so far - i've had to go to bed now as I'm up early for work in the morning, i will check back for any replies.

Thanks again

With economy mode displayed it needs to be reactivated,basically body computer has shut down & examiner restores the body computer. I have had to do this a few times but the car has always started.It could well be due to a underlying cause;favourites being water in engine fusebox or body computer.

I'll keep looking so check in the morning;

Good luck(y)

https://www.fiatforum.com/ulysse/77200-beep-beep-economy-mode.html

(thats what I was trying to find,the door closing method)

https://www.fiatforum.com/ulysse/37921-major-help-needed-please-2.html

(fuse at body computer...seen this before.In panel under steering wheel)

Last edited:
Again, thanks for all your help - much as it annoys me to admit, it sounds like FIAT are going to get another pound of flesh out of me to reset the body computer :bang:

Just wish FIAT were a little more informative without a price being attached :shakehead

if you do manage to find anything else that i might be able to do before FIAT get their greedy little paws on my car, then i'd really appreciate it

Thanks again

I don't understand this discussion!Economy mode is only for RT3/audio
system set! Not for the entire car.

In addition, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery does reset the body computer. you just need to wait 2 minutes after reconnecting for the immobiliser to come back to work.

I did not find a full description of the problem. Does the starter motor run but the engine wouldn't start, or the starter motor does not run at all?

Maybe you have a problem with the gear shift lever?
Try starting in N instead of P. You may need again to jump-start from another car because perhaps your battery ran flat from all your trials

All sorted - finally bit the bullet and went into FIAT. £111.04 later :eek: and it was found that there was a broken wire going to the starter motor. With this "replaced" (actually - they just ran a new wire between the two contacts) everything started fine. (y)

Fingers crossed this was all the problem - hopefully no other nasty surprises around the corner:confused:

Thanks to everyone for your help - i am certain that being able to tell FIAT what I had already checked helped me to keep the bill down.

That's the problem nowadays. Everyone is so expecting it to be a major computer problem we've lost the ability to chekc the simple things like a wire broken. Still sorted now so all good.

Back