Technical 2001 Ulysse help please

Currently reading:
Technical 2001 Ulysse help please

M3TAL

Hi,

New member and new owner of a 2001 fiat Ulysse.

Ok so a few issues straight out of the door and would like some Advice or pointing in the right direction, I am also trawling this forum in search.

-came with no manual, how do it actually turn heating on or off? Like I see no on/off button?

-the heater control has no lights on it, the flap/control toggles are very loose

-heating not working at all, neither hot or cold. Previous owner said he had replaced the blower, however as above, it seems no power to console

-windscreen wipers, do not return to off position, as in when you turn them off they will stay where ever you killed the power to them. You have to time it to turn off when they are in the down position. They also only work on one speed.

-the console for the cars Speedo etc some time's stops working in the rain, or the odo meter will jump from 98202 miles to 198202 miles.

-the fuel guage sometimes just drops off to empty. Wouldn't be an issue as would have used the trip meter but that fluctuates too

I think I'd like to start with the easiest, how do I actually turn on the heating.

Sounds like you are going to have to check all the previous owners work as sounds a bit suspect.
The wipers sound like maybe two issues, one the stalk that controls the speeds and the other , if you are handy with a multimeter is check for power at the wiper motor as when ignition on and wipers turned off there should be a live feed at the motor to allow "self parking", this allows the arms to move to the park position which is then dead. If there is power there then the fault is internal on the motor, usually on the large gear part there is a switch arrangement to provide the parking bit, this may be repairable but often a cheap working wiper motor is the answer.
If your car suffers from the damp that may be the speedo issue, however if related to the fuel gauge problem it may an idea to remove the wiring plug to the speedo clean with electrical cleaner and refit.
If the fuel gauge drops when it reaches a certain level in the tank it usually means the tank unit is faulty/worn at that position, this often happens as they get older on many makes of car.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've never actually used a voltage meter so possibly something I will have to learn with this car.

I figured it might have been a dud motor over the stalk so was going to check the wiring, and if on a standard plug give it a good clean and see where I am from there. I've seen a few in eBay for the car.

With the heater controls though, I'm not sure if any of the lights are ment to light up? The toggles are extremely loose and don't feel like they are attached to anything, I also don't see an on/off button, just a few tabs to slide.

I've had a look on eBay and I can't seem to find any replacement ones of those if it came down to that.

I believe he has replaced the blower as what he told me about location etc coincides with what's on various posts I've found to do with the blower. Although I might want to check the wiring and may sure connection is clean at the plugs.

I think the non working climate hot/cold is bugging me the most. Are you able to verify if the heating controls light up at all? Like for demist etc

Again thanks for the reply.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've never actually used a voltage meter so possibly something I will have to learn with this car.

I figured it might have been a dud motor over the stalk so was going to check the wiring, and if on a standard plug give it a good clean and see where I am from there. I've seen a few in eBay for the car.

With the heater controls though, I'm not sure if any of the lights are ment to light up? The toggles are extremely loose and don't feel like they are attached to anything, I also don't see an on/off button, just a few tabs to slide.

I've had a look on eBay and I can't seem to find any replacement ones of those if it came down to that.

I believe he has replaced the blower as what he told me about location etc coincides with what's on various posts I've found to do with the blower. Although I might want to check the wiring and may sure connection is clean at the plugs.

I think the non working climate hot/cold is bugging me the most. Are you able to verify if the heating controls light up at all? Like for demist etc

Again thanks for the reply.
Being a older car with dubious service history it sounds as though you may be on a learning curve:).
I have never owned one, so my advice is from my mechanical background although now retired.
I am sure there are Forum members here who will have more model specific knowledge.

Back