Technical UConnect radio

Currently reading:
Technical UConnect radio

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

Matts Dad

Hi. I am sick to death of the poor DAB reception on my 70 reg Ducati Motorhome and believe the problem to be the aerial in the near side wing mirror.
On my last Motorhome I fitted a T-bar dab aerial and all was well. I plan to do the same now, but need to know if the UConnect radio fitted has DIN connectors and if it has a 12v out that comes on with the radio (don’t want a permanent 12v to the aerial due to battery drain issues).
Also what is the type of DAB aerial connector on this radio?
All help gratefully received. (Don’t want a patch-style windscreen antenna since Earth contact needed and Motorhome blinds make this awkward to achieve).
IMG_3401.jpeg

I’ve solved this - by taking the radio out and looking! The model is a FIAT 250 VP1.
it is NOT ISO and the dab connector is Friack (spelling) not SMA.
Also being a custom fiat job it does not have a helpful 12v out (antenna motor) signal when the radio is on. The 12v supply to the radio is permanent. Neither does the ignition switch have an accessories position - it is just off/everything electrical/start. So there is no switched 12v supply available for the aerial amplifier portion to use.
So it is a case of have everything powered up when parked, or no DAB when parked. Everything powered is not an option for an evenings radio listening in a Motorhome.
So basically it cannot be done.
Others contemplating a similar fix BE WARNED.

I’ve solved this - by taking the radio out and looking! The model is a FIAT 250 VP1.
it is NOT ISO and the dab connector is Friack (spelling) not SMA.
Also being a custom fiat job it does not have a helpful 12v out (antenna motor) signal when the radio is on. The 12v supply to the radio is permanent. Neither does the ignition switch have an accessories position - it is just off/everything electrical/start. So there is no switched 12v supply available for the aerial amplifier portion to use.
So it is a case of have everything powered up when parked, or no DAB when parked. Everything powered is not an option for an evenings radio listening in a Motorhome.
So basically it cannot be done.
Others contemplating a similar fix BE WARNED.
The radio in my 2006 PVC is of an earlier generation and not integrated with a UConnect system. The following may not be possible, but is submitted as a basis for thought.

My radio uses a permanent supply for memory retention, and an ignition switched supply for activation. I did not want to drain the starter battery by using the radio when the vehicle was parked. To achieve this a separate permanent supply was run from the habitation 12V system. Ignition switch control was preserved by inserting a changeover relay, controlled by the original switched supply. On site operation was originally via a simple indicator switch in the habitation area, connected to the NC contact of the relay.

The above scheme worked OK, but having used the 30 minute delay time available on rented Ford Transit PVC's in NZ as a sleep timer, some improvement was desired. A timer associated with the remote switch was the solution. The remote switch, which is accessible while in bed, is now associated with an adjustable digital timer currently left at 30 minutes, but continuous operation is immediately available.

I should add that the timer which was an offshoot of our son's college project, can be adjusted if desired by the same remote 3 position switch.

The radio in my 2006 PVC is of an earlier generation and not integrated with a UConnect system. The following may not be possible, but is submitted as a basis for thought.

My radio uses a permanent supply for memory retention, and an ignition switched supply for activation. I did not want to drain the starter battery by using the radio when the vehicle was parked. To achieve this a separate permanent supply was run from the habitation 12V system. Ignition switch control was preserved by inserting a changeover relay, controlled by the original switched supply. On site operation was originally via a simple indicator switch in the habitation area, connected to the NC contact of the relay.

The above scheme worked OK, but having used the 30 minute delay time available on rented Ford Transit PVC's in NZ as a sleep timer, some improvement was desired. A timer associated with the remote switch was the solution. The remote switch, which is accessible while in bed, is now associated with an adjustable digital timer currently left at 30 minutes, but continuous operation is immediately available.

I should add that the timer which was an offshoot of our son's college project, can be adjusted if desired by the same remote 3 position switch.
Yes, I see what you done there. I have no qualms about using the vehicle battery as the supply, but the habitation supply may have some potential since it meets my requirements of being off when the vehicle is not being used (ie in storage). Apart from wild camping (tend not to do any) the habitation battery will also be charged from the electric hook up, so the antenna being on when the radio is not will not be an issue. I’ll give that some thought : many thanks.
My preference is still for a supply that is controlled by the radio and to this end I am thinking about a Hall-effect switch (or similar) to detect when the radio is drawing current. Perhaps all is not lost yet. Thanks again.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back