General Tyres: Dunlops?

Currently reading:
General Tyres: Dunlops?

jhy

New Member Question about Tyres

My 04, 1.4 Stilo Active Air Con has Dunlop SP Sports 195, 65, R15 tyres fitted i find that i get a lot of road noise can any one recomend a tyre with a bit less noise or is this a common fault with Stilo,s.

Re: New Member Question about Tyres

I have Dunlop SPs all-round on my Stilo, albeit 16" and they certainly seem to generate more road noise than those on a hire 1.4 Stilo I drove once. I saw a tyre test in someone's car magazine a few weeks ago and Dunlop were sort of mid-table for noise. I'm sure some others on here have more experience than me in fitting different brands of tyres. Don't forget, badly aligned wheels can increase road noise as well, plus worn bushes etc...

i`m going to have to change a rear tyre soon and it looks like the orginal set are still on it ie dunlop 205/55r16v 91 sp sport 2000E s well apart from a unbranded also on the rear.

these dunlops are they any good? i`ve always been a pirelli P7000 man from my alfa days and as this stilo is no way near going to be cornered as hard as the 156 , i`m not going to treat the stilo to them .

But i do want something that'll hang on to the road and be as good in the wet as the pirellis and cheap too.

dont ask for much do I?

ditch the Dunlops - too noisy. I put Avon's on and noise improved, grip is good for my driving style and price is good as well. (£68.00 per tyre for 205 16" I think - standard alloys on Dynamic spec)

I replaced my Dunlops with Dunlop Sport 3000a tyres. Quieter, affordable and they grip like poo to a bears backside in the wet whether just a bit damp or chucking it down.

interesting logic you have mate, so you saying the stilo doesn't hold the road as good as the 156 so it does not deserve a set of good tyres? shouldn't it be the other way round?
Anyway, I have G'year F1 eagle on mine and will not put anything else on my baby, a saving of £100 or so does not worth the risk!!

Dunlop SP3000A's were an option I considered, but dismissed as they are Asymetric and have found, on 15's with SP300A's (1.6) and Marangoni Vantos (JTD) - both Asymetric tread paterns, that they dont seem to wear down evenly.

Dad has just had a set of Firestone TZ200's on his JTD MW and I have the Coupe alloys back on my JTD and opted for Uniroyal 550's. Prices 230-240 for four of either in 205/55VR16. (I ended up with W rated due to tyre place only having 3 V's but 4 W's... did offer me Rainsport1's as an alternative but only had 2 and no chance of getting 2 more till November :-()

Initial impressions of the Uniroyals is that they offer more fluid handling, are quiet and more comfortable to ride on than the Accelera Alpha's I had before. Reading up on the net would indicate only downside is that the Uniroyal's are a soft compound and may not wear as well as the best but was looking for improved comfort and wet weather performance over the Acceleras... hopefully I have made the right choice for my 22+ K a year :)

Last edited:
As ever when trye recommendation threads come up I can recommend the Vredestein Sportrac 3 and if your rims will fit get the Ultrac's both look rather nice and the Sportrac 3's do hold well! (y)

As ever when trye recommendation threads come up I can recommend the Vredestein Sportrac 3 and if your rims will fit get the Ultrac's both look rather nice and the Sportrac 3's do hold well! (y)

Which & ADAC (German AA) seem to agree there... very good tyre just comment on them being slightly noisy compared to others tested. Ringing round locally not offered these so assume nobody stocks them round here (n)

Which & ADAC (German AA) seem to agree there... very good tyre just comment on them being slightly noisy compared to others tested. Ringing round locally not offered these so assume nobody stocks them round here (n)

Really? I would have thought any supplier could quote for them? Would they not just ring the manufacturer or something? Try the Vredestein website they may list local dealers etc....

interesting logic you have mate, so you saying the stilo doesn't hold the road as good as the 156 so it does not deserve a set of good tyres? shouldn't it be the other way round?
Anyway, I have G'year F1 eagle on mine and will not put anything else on my baby, a saving of £100 or so does not worth the risk!!

No it means I`m driving within the Stilo`s limits . Not exploting the Alfa`s . anyway, I`m supposed to be sensable now.

Still , the stilo handles better than i`d imagined.:yum:

I know guys who love Dunnies, but from reading forum, i wouldnt have them. I've got Pirelli P6000 on my 3dr, which i konw is an oem bog standard tyre, but it does the miles i need, seems to be quiet and handles fine. TO be honest i'm not thrashing my car around all the time, so i cant comment on that aspect of the tyre, but needless to say, when my next set goes on, they'll be P6000s

Back