Tyre talk

Currently reading:
Tyre talk

Re: What's made you grumpy today?

Did you do that in the snow? When you've got loads of grip on a dry road you will get away with it, but on snow and ice you're going to come a cropper sooner or later.

CANADA: TWO WINTER TIRES IN FRONT OR BACK? - YouTube

But hey, what would Michelin know?

but you wouldn't drive like that if you only have 2, you would drive the same as if you had none

I don't agree with the first bit but accept the 2nd bit.

The thing about having 2 winter tyres on the front (on a fwd car) is that you might be able to get out of your street because you've got traction, but when you come to brake then you might have the rear overtake the front. If you've got no winter tyres on you probably won't be able to get out of your street so won't be able to have that accident. If you've not got the money for 4 winter tyres then you might find you're best off just leaving the car at home. I know that's not going to sit well with people who will feel like they'll then be cut off from the outside world, but it's a fact. Better just stay off the road for the shortish time that the snow sticks around than be a danger to others. Most insurance companies also don't seem to be particularly happy about you running 2 winter tyres and 2 summer tyres. In fact that recently said that they don't like people running mixed sets of tyres.....

As for snow socks, no thanks, my winter tyres don't need to be chopped and changed as I go from a road where there is no snow to one which has snow on it. Snow socks also don't work in slush either and have a speed limit of 30mph. No thanks :) I think I'd prefer to run 2 winter tyres!!!!!

I agree with leaving the car at home in most cases ;) having said that I've driven in snow with budget summer tyres and faired ok. Slightly lower the rear tyre pressure couple of heavy items in the boot and take things extra slow. I have a shuval and "will" get there with out winter tyres but with lots of determination and common sense ;)

but you wouldn't drive like that if you only have 2, you would drive the same as if you had none

Excellent! So if a child steps out in front of you or a car pulls out you can just brake as normal or swerve as normal? The fact of the matter is that 99% of the time you could probably drive around on bald crappy chinese summer tyres and you'll be fine. It's that 1% of the time when you need a car which is balaced and has good grip on all 4 corners

Excellent! So if a child steps out in front of you or a car pulls out you can just brake as normal or swerve as normal? The fact of the matter is that 99% of the time you could probably drive around on bald crappy chinese summer tyres and you'll be fine. It's that 1% of the time when you need a car which is balaced and has good grip on all 4 corners

if you was driving on snow like in your vid you would be doing 5mph in an area where a kid could run out not 30 as in the vid, you would take foot of throttle and car would stop instantly no need to brake

You're missing the point. With winter tyres you might actually be making things worse for yourself in effect. My wife trundles around in her Subaru with winter tyres on all four corners quite safely. She only does small distances (it's only a mile to work for her). Having 4 summer tyres on all 4 corners, she's very conscious of the grip levels and doesn't have the false impression of grip that you get from having 2 good tyres on the front. If she had 2 winter tyres on the front and she goes to brake then she runs the risk of spinning the car.

People are missing the point when they think that more grip is automatically better. Watch those videos and you'll see why it isn't. On a FWD car on snow and ice, the balance will be far too far towards oversteer. Whilst you may think you're Colin McRae or Ari Vatanen, you're probably not. It really isn't about the amount of the grip you've got, it's the balance between front and rear grip that keeps your car pointing straight ahead. You wouldn't put a new pair of coilovers on the front of a car and leave the rear with some 15 year old original shocks would you?

I think some people have to accept that sometimes if you're not properly equipped that sometimes you shouldn't go out on the roads in your car or you shouldn't go for a walk up a mountain etc etc. I know that might sound like big bad old decadent 306maxi in his nearly new 500 with expensive tyres and he doesn't want the lower classes on the roads, but it's simply not like that and my experience (and what tyre companies say!) says that in severe conditions you really do want a car with balanced handling characteristics.

Now your'e missing my point, I have no choice but to drive about. Not optional. It has to be done regardless of conditions, tyres etc. I have to get my education

Its snowing. You unwillingly have a car that has a mix of tyres. Your poor distressed neighbour has gone into labour an the ambulance can't come out. She asks you to bring her as a last hope to the hospital because no one else will. What do you do?

I'm assuming you have a decent cashflow when you are able to afford a relatively new car and multiple sets of wheels and tyres. I'm not. I'm just trying to make ends meet and have a little comfort when I can. With no income since last year.

I'm well aware of what tyres can and can't do. In my short life I've had a ridiculous amount of cars and driven many many more. I've seen the best of the best getting caught out with the right gear, none of us are perfect.

I don't think I'm Colin McRae or Ari Vatanen. Simple answer is I am neither of them, I'm just an ordinary Joe soap who goes about his daily routine.

What would happen if you were to get your car and your wife's car sent into a garage then the garage give you a courtesy car with a mix of bald, wet and snow tyres? I'm sure walking everywhere isn't an economic option

Why have you decided to pick on me, what have I ever done to you? :(

Now your'e missing my point, I have no choice but to drive about. Not optional. It has to be done regardless of conditions, tyres etc. I have to get my education

Its snowing. You unwillingly have a car that has a mix of tyres. Your poor distressed neighbour has gone into labour an the ambulance can't come out. She asks you to bring her as a last hope to the hospital because no one else will. What do you do?

I'm assuming you have a decent cashflow when you are able to afford a relatively new car and multiple sets of wheels and tyres. I'm not. I'm just trying to make ends meet and have a little comfort when I can. With no income since last year.

I'm well aware of what tyres can and can't do. In my short life I've had a ridiculous amount of cars and driven many many more. I've seen the best of the best getting caught out with the right gear, none of us are perfect.

I don't think I'm Colin McRae or Ari Vatanen. Simple answer is I am neither of them, I'm just an ordinary Joe soap who goes about his daily routine.

What would happen if you were to get your car and your wife's car sent into a garage then the garage give you a courtesy car with a mix of bald, wet and snow tyres? I'm sure walking everywhere isn't an economic option

Why have you decided to pick on me, what have I ever done to you? :(
I'm not picking on you. I'm just trying to point out how you might be worse off in some ways with 2 winter tyres rather than just 4 summer tyres.

Yes I am lucky to have a bit more cash coming in than you, but that's not the point. If both of us spin in the same car and hit something side on we're both as dead/paralysed/injured as each other.

if you was driving on snow like in your vid you would be doing 5mph in an area where a kid could run out not 30 as in the vid, you would take foot of throttle and car would stop instantly no need to brake

Dude, I've been driving a car (our Scooby) doing 10mph on a gravel road with a few inches of compacted snow and I can tell you that it takes an eternity for a car to stop..... it took long enough for the car to just sail straight off the road into a ditch.

I'm not picking on you. I'm just trying to point out how you might be worse off in some ways with 2 winter tyres rather than just 4 summer tyres.

Yes I am lucky to have a bit more cash coming in than you, but that's not the point. If both of us spin in the same car and hit something side on we're both as dead/paralysed/injured as each other.

I live on top of a hill and need every bit of help I can get. I know exactly where you're coming from (front heavy car driving the front wheels on snows and the back jacked up on normal new tyres) Speed in the conditions meant for these tyres is a no-no and sharp corners no matter what tyre you have you have to slow down for (on public roads that is, lets not mention Scandinavian driving techniques)

I survived quite well last year on 40 profile tyres and the year before on rain tyres. I'm just delighted I have the extra bit of help at my disposal. I'd much rather have these tyres than the very bald and cracked ones I took off. These are also a 155 sec so should bite better than the 205's I used last year :)

Dude, I've been driving a car (our Scooby) doing 10mph on a gravel road with a few inches of compacted snow and I can tell you that it takes an eternity for a car to stop..... it took long enough for the car to just sail straight off the road into a ditch.

that's twice as fast as i said

Says the matey who drives a 500... oh dear.

:ROFLMAO:

So if Adrian Newey drove a Fiat 500 then he would automatically be robbed of all his ability to understand how to make a car handle better? I know you're trying to have a dig at me, but there are far more intelligent ways of doing it :ROFLMAO:

My first comment was sarcastic. But no i do under how a car handles and imo i agree, two winters are better then none.

My first comment was sarcastic. But no i do under how a car handles and imo i agree, two winters are better then none.
If you knew anything about balance though, you'd recognise that 2 winter tyres on the front of a FWD car is NOT good for braking stability. Watch the videos I posted, it's rather obvious.

Im sorry but this whole discussion is pathetic. If you need to drive, you need to drive.. having 4 winter tyres or two or non is not going to stop anyone... Im sure we are all experienced enough in the snowy climates to understand how a car handles in a snow with no grip or partial grip.

Last winter I commuted well over 250 miles a week in a Punto with barely any tread on the front tyres, I could wheel spin in 3rd quite easily in the dry. But that's not my point, if you need to drive.. you find ways around not having the 'right' equipment.

If you just fancy fishing for arguments (Maxi) then you're barking up the wrong tree. I see your point, I understand it but I think people have more issues in life.. Like paying rent or keeping their house warm for their familys or even keeping food on the table. Tyres are the least of anyones bloody problems.

Im sorry but this whole discussion is pathetic. If you need to drive, you need to drive.. having 4 winter tyres or two or non is not going to stop anyone... Im sure we are all experienced enough in the snowy climates to understand how a car handles in a snow with no grip or partial grip.

Last winter I commuted well over 250 miles a week in a Punto with barely any tread on the front tyres, I could wheel spin in 3rd quite easily in the dry. But that's not my point, if you need to drive.. you find ways around not having the 'right' equipment.

If you just fancy fishing for arguments (Maxi) then you're barking up the wrong tree. I see your point, I understand it but I think people have more issues in life.. Like paying rent or keeping their house warm for their familys or even keeping food on the table. Tyres are the least of anyones bloody problems.

Have you actually watched those videos? They CLEARLY show how braking stability is seriously affected by having 2 winter tyres on the front and summers on the back.

My point is that you may actually be better off with 4 summer tyres than 2 winter tyres. At least when you hit the brakes on a car with 4 summer tyres it's going to go straight. I'd rather slow down slowly in a straight line than spin and hit something side on.

You're right, I'm fishing for arguments. Being on here making someone feel bad for not being able to afford a complete set of winter tyres gives me a fantastic feeling of self worth :rolleyes:

Question for you all, if you had 4 knackered shocks on your car, would you replace the front two and end up with a car that has suspension which is completely mismatched from front to rear? You could do it and most of the time you're going to be fine, but go around a corner and need to brake hard and you might find yourself pointing towards a tree or something you don't want to be hitting.

I know you must all be thinking that I'm some horrible 500 owner who is loaded and doesn't want peasants on the road getting in my way. It's not like that at all, look at the videos and you'll see that driving with 2 winter tyres on the front is just asking for trouble. At the end of the day I'd hate to see a thread posted saying that one of the members on here was seriously injured or worse when advice given could have made them rethink whether to go out for that drive or to put winter tyres on the front rather than just having 4 summers on.

At the end of the day I don't know 99.99% of you people personally, but I would hate for anyone to be hurt and that's why I give the advice I give rather than the simplistic view that 2 tyres are better than none. Anyone who thinks that clearly doesn't understand the role of balance between front and rear grip in terms of handling and hasn't even bothered to watch the video I posted.

Stay safe anyway.

Back