Technical Tyre size

Currently reading:
Technical Tyre size

No i know what your saying but if the speedo is 8% out already then i put a tyre on that is 3% out compared to the standard tyre that makes it so the total the speedo is out by is 11%

No,no...

By default speedo reads minus 6-8%

Change of the tyre diameter you have gives plus 3,45% than the standard ones.

So now the speedo should read -6+3,45= -2,55% to -8+3,45= -4,55%

Last edited:
He's saying that the speedo is by default -8% {slower} and your tyres give you +3% {faster}, which would make your new speed -5%.

So you are closer to the true speed, than before.

Apologies Matt – ignore my comments on indicated speed (#15) …

ERROR
Inside the book:Also initially (I think) your indicated speed will still over-read your actual - although the calc. suggests otherwise (by 2mph or so), I’d argue that’s not enough to take-up all the over-read tolerance. But then as treadwear progresses, you’ll be moving towards where indicated speed = actual speed. How close you’ll be to the (illegal) actual speed being greater than indicated will need a harder look at the numbers.

… a little over-excited there as in my case I considered stepping-up to a larger RR & thus taking-up the over-read tolerance & moving more towards the (illegal) speedo under-read. When in contrast you’ve moved (the opposite way) to a smaller RR & thus increased the speedo over-read – but as you’ve tested, your thinking is straight (despite confusing comments) & it’s not worth fretting over.

Apologies if I’ve added to any confusion. I think I’m right (?) in saying that a step-up in RR bring’s one closer to where indicated speed = actual (or true) speed - & a step-down in RR will increase the speedo over-read & thus widen the gap between indicated speed & actual (or true) speed.

I’d find it interesting to know, from those with SatNav kit indicating mph – what their SatNav mph reading is against the indicated speedo mph, & what tyre size they’re running.

you gone through a set of tyres already lol how many miles you done?

see much improvement handling wise with the smaller sidewall?

12k :D Fronts were down to indicators on 8k so i swapped them onto the back to get some more mileage out of them :)

Only been up and down the motorway with them so far, will take them out for a proper test tomorrow though. They screech like hell when launching quickly though lol

Apologies Matt – ignore my comments on indicated speed (#15) …

ERROR

… a little over-excited there as in my case I considered stepping-up to a larger RR & thus taking-up the over-read tolerance & moving more towards the (illegal) speedo under-read. When in contrast you’ve moved (the opposite way) to a smaller RR & thus increased the speedo over-read – but as you’ve tested, your thinking is straight (despite confusing comments) & it’s not worth fretting over.

Apologies if I’ve added to any confusion. I think I’m right (?) in saying that a step-up in RR bring’s one closer to where indicated speed = actual (or true) speed - & a step-down in RR will increase the speedo over-read & thus widen the gap between indicated speed & actual (or true) speed.

I’d find it interesting to know, from those with SatNav kit indicating mph – what their SatNav mph reading is against the indicated speedo mph, & what tyre size they’re running.

Nah no confusion mate :) My sat nav used to say when i was doing 70 i would be doing about 67/68 and now its down to 65/66 when at 70. Its no big deal i will just sit at a clock speed of 75 when on the motorway as i should be around 70 then :)

what tyre you running now matt

205/40/17 Toyo T1R's :)

Road noise seems to be down a bit, personally the ride hasnt got any rougher and the tread depth is massive compared to the potenza's so should get more than 8k out the front 2 lol

Road noise seems to be down a bit, personally the ride hasnt got any rougher and the tread depth is massive compared to the potenza's so should get more than 8k out the front 2 lol

lol, you didnt see those Sumo's i had on mine when i bought it. lasted 8k of motorway driving :eek: I think youve got a good deal for 4 tyres, il be interested to hear how the Toyos go :)

I can cope if these last 8k as at 70 a corner fitted its not breaking the bank unlike potenzas which are over 100 per corner.

4 tyres every 8K?!?
My Potenzas must be made of granite! 22K and still life left in them. might even see 30k :yum:

Interested to know what the Toyo's are like though, as i will replace the Potenzas with these or the Federals Ffoxy rates :)

4 tyres every 8K?!?
My Potenzas must be made of granite! 22K and still life left in them. might even see 30k :yum:

Interested to know what the Toyo's are like though, as i will replace the Potenzas with these or the Federals Ffoxy rates :)

Nah i only really needed 2 but because 2 toyos in standard size were only like £80 cheaper fitted than getting all 4 i decided to change them all so i have 2 part worn potenza's with plenty of tread left if anyone wants them ;)

as you lower the profile you should widen the tyre
ie 215/40 17s
not sure how or why it works! but that is apprently what you should do!

how much did you pay per tire btw?

I have new YOKOHAMA 205/40/17 Parada Spec 2's on the front and the original POTENZAS 205/45/17 no warning lights, no other issues, better handling if anything due to the smaller, harder sidewalls. And because the rears are so worn - probably riding roughly the same height anyway :/

Last edited:
215/45/17 potenzas best all round for everything.I GOT POTENZAS FOR £115/TYRE 2 YEARS AGO. GREAT TYRES DESIGNED FOR THE ENZO. ENOUGH SAID,DONT BUY THE CAR IF YOU CANT AFFFORD TO RUN IT....????THEY DONT PUT POTENZAS ON AS STANDARD FOR NO REASON THE GP RELYS HEAVENLY ON ITS TYRES BECAUSE OF ITS HIGH RIDE HEIGHT/CENTRE OF GRAVITY:p

got toyo t1r's on mine find them much stickier than potenza's and can get them for £58 (www.tyretraders.co.uk) not a cant afford its a would prefer the toyo's. prefer the lower profile.

see what you mean about squeeking a bit though from a quick launch.

Back