Technical twin air engine woes

Currently reading:
Technical twin air engine woes

lauryloo

my mum has a 2012 twinair

last year the head gasket went, and she had it replaced.

last week it had an oil leak, mechanic supposedly repaired it and its still giving bother.

she took it to a dealer to trade in against a different car, and they didn't want it because he said an engine mount is missing and its leaking oil. Which is fair enough.

So here is the question - what do you do with it? are engine mounts being loose/missing a common problem

is it possible to replace the twin air engine with a 1.2 engine?

going to bring it to my own mechanic as i trust him, but just wondering if anyone had successfully resolved engine issues in a twinair?

what do you do with it?

Firstly, get rid of it; otherwise your Mum could easily end up pouring money into a bottomless pit.

Forget about re-engining it, or carrying out expensive repairs; you won't recover what you spend, and it'll be more trouble than it's worth (which likely isn't a lot). Accept it won't fetch a great price, and put your energy into getting the best deal you can on its replacement.

Personally I wouldn't sell a car like this privately; I wouldn't be comfortable passing on problems like this to someone else. If it's sold through the trade, whoever sells it on will have to take some responsibility for it, which will at least give some minimal level of protection to its next owner.

Find an independent garage to replace the engine mount & fix the oil leak as best they can, then trade it in or just sell it to the trade for cash. Franchised dealers won't be interested; it's too old, so there's little point in trading it in if your Mum is looking to replace it with a brand new car; they'll just offer a minimal amount and pass it on. You may have to punt it around a little, and there's always WBAC & the like if you're really struggling. Just don't expect to get too high price for it.

Last edited:
thanks, she annoyingly has bought another car without trading it in, so that option is out.

think i'll get the issues fixed and sell it on to the trade for her - at this point she is looking to scrap it, for a massive £130!

thanks, she annoyingly has bought another car without trading it in, so that option is out.

think i'll get the issues fixed and sell it on to the trade for her - at this point she is looking to scrap it, for a massive £130!

If the bodywork is in good condition I'm sure plenty of people will but it for parts as I bet they pay for them £130 for a bumper's and lights to fix a crash damaged car

These disposal options sound quite drastic...I would have thought if the issues could be fixed or decently mitigated (assuming the oil leak isn't too serious or involved) it would have some value if honestly sold on via a platform like eBay.

An engine mount **missing** sounds like something the previous "mechanics" you have used should have done something about or at least advised you of - do you have any redress? I presume that (out of the three mounts) it can only be the one at the back of the gearbox otherwise your engine would be on the road...and I wonder if your oil leak is from a stressed gearbox driveshaft seal because of excessive movement of the power pack due to missing mount. In which case, a fix shouldn't be too problematic.

Nick

Where in the UK is the car..?

Plenty of people around who could give you an honest quote.. once they see the car :)

Charlie - near the M4

Back