Tuning Tuning Fire engine

Currently reading:
Tuning Tuning Fire engine

People fit 1.4 16v engines in Cinqs!

But 100+ bhp will probably blow the transfer box............ :(

What's in the transfer box that's so week? As far as I can tell there's just an extra crownwheel with the pinion on a shaft for the rear prop. :confused:

The transfer box on the FIRE engine'd 4x4 is nowhere near as tough as the MkI 965 one.

This could be useful! What is it that's different in the earlier box to make it stronger?

The MkI transfer box is not compatible with the later gear box. The bell housings are different as well so you can't fit a FIRE engine directly to one (even if you could find one). The MkI was make by Puch and the later models were made under licence with a cheaper overhead (that a polite way of putting it). My old 965 had a 127 GT engine fitted by the new owner when I sold her.

Will the 1108 Sporting head fit the 999 block? That would be a good start. With a Sporting (60bhp) or even Punto 75 cam' decent four branch exhaust and balanced carb' she'd be a revy little lump. :)

play on Gran Turismo 4.. on there you can get 154bhp out of the 999ie fire engine. after buying thousands of "credits" worth of mods, turbo bits, engine components... etc..
in fact.. i should print screen mine..

attachment.php

hehe and that was without playing with the setup it would of done more >_<

not bad for saying doing 47mph in talon in 5th makes it sound like it is going to take off.

love to see that in real life though >_<

Attachments

• panda speed.png
    panda speed.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Mk2s were Puch made also.

Happy to stand corrected but the MkII's were made of some kind of toffee compared to the MkI's. ;)

When I was doing hillclimb trials in my 965 I was told the MkI's were made by Puch in Australia and the MkII's were made in Europe (Poland?) under licence to reduce transport costs.

That made sense at the time because the boxes were different to accept the FIRE engine.

If I've been misinformed it's better to be corrected than pass that misinformation on. ;)

Last edited:
Happy to stand corrected but the MkII's were made of some kind of toffee compared to the MkI's. ;)

When I was doing hillclimb trials in my 965 I was told the MkI's were made by Puch in Australia and the MkII's were made in Europe (Poland?) under licence to reduce transport costs.

That made sense at the time because the boxes were different to accept the FIRE engine.

If I've been misinformed it's better to be corrected than pass that misinformation on. ;)

Steyr Puch is an Austrian company that Fiat went to for the 4x4 system. They would have made the first ones which were fitted to the ohv Mk1's. It's quite possible that when the Mk2 came out production moved to Poland but only the casing would have been different in order to fit to the FIRE engine, I would have thought that the internals were the same.

I can say with relative certainty that none of the gearboxes were made in Australia ;).

If I'm right, Steyr Puch at Graz in Austria engineered the 4x4 system for Fiat and also produced the transmission etc for the Mk 1. The box used in the Mk 2 or Fire engined 4x4 would have been of the same basic design within a different casing. Not certain if manufacture remained at SP in Graz or was licensed out to Fiat themselves. If what I have been told is correct, shaft and bearing sizes differ between mks 1 &2 as well as the ratios. As for the transfer box I believe that the bearings and shafts were of a different (weaker) specification to reduce production cost. Rumour has it that the main gearbox of the 141A shares its internals with the standard 2wd car.

No, I was only suggesting that the 4x4 gearbox may have been built in Poland rather than Austria.
As far as I am concerned, gearboxes{other parts} for panda 4x4{1983-2003} haven't been produced in Poland. There were plans to start the production of panda in Poland in 1981/82 to replace 126p , but political situation and Martial law in Poland {1981-83} spoiled all the plans to replace the production and 126p remained till 2000.

Last edited:
Steyr Puch is an Austrian company that Fiat went to for the 4x4 system. They would have made the first ones which were fitted to the ohv Mk1's. It's quite possible that when the Mk2 came out production moved to Poland but only the casing would have been different in order to fit to the FIRE engine, I would have thought that the internals were the same.

I can say with relative certainty that none of the gearboxes were made in Australia ;).

Stupid spell checker put Australia in there? Grrrrr!

Don't you love it when technology makes you look like a tw@?

Well more than usual at least. ;)

Following the success of the Mini Moke and Scamp and the successful if unstable twin engine'd "Twini" John Cooper built the military wanted to see if British Leyland could make a four wheel drive platform for the Mini as they were using Mini vans quite extensively at the time and four wheel drive would be advantageous. In the late 60's they did. Similar to the Austin Ant BL replaced the diff' from a 1969 Clubman Estate with a transfer box and a prop shaft going the a modified Morris Minor van rear axle. A prototype was built but by the time I wrote about it in 1997 (work experience for Miniworld magazine) it had been converted to a pick up body and given mud tyres. The loom was never completed; it didn't have lights or windows and only had a drivers seat bit it was this prototype that gave me the idea of getting something similar. A week later I bought my first Panda 4x4. :) A few years later I built a Subaru Justy powered Mini (that was great but died shortly after I sold it because the new owner insisted on using it in four wheel drive all the time). As for the original Mini 4x4 it was shelved as it cost too much and the extra weight and drag from the prop' shaft put too much strain on the already flustered gearbox. There wasn't enough room without expensive alteration to the body for Gypsy, Ant or even Land Rover running gear but as a concept the idea lived on with the Subaru Vivio, Justy, Dihatsu Domino 4wd, Suzuki Wagon 4x4, Panda 4x4 and even things like the Rav4 and Mitsubishi Pini.

So even though the Panda 4x4 was the first production car of its kind the idea had been floating about for ages and if it wasn't for crazy people like John Cooper we wouldn't have cars anywhere near as much fun today. ;)

Slightly off topic but it does explain where my obsession started. :)

Back