Technical Trying to start Uno1100 kills all electricity in car.

Currently reading:
Technical Trying to start Uno1100 kills all electricity in car.

Seanlr

Hi

When turning the ignition on my UNO Fire 1100 while trying to start the car it turns off everything (radio clock resets, all lights e.t.c. go off).

The Engine does not even try to turn over.

I can push start without a problem.

I have also found if the car has been driving for a while (around 20 minutes) it starts without a problem.

:bang:

Thanks in advance, Sean

Last edited:
Sounds like a knackered battery to me not being able to supply enough current when the starter motor is used for the first time.

In between the car being started, the battery charge dissipates, resulting in not having enough charge to start the car.
However, after you have been driving for a while, the alternator will charge the battery to a capacity whereby it can turn the starter motor, and get the engine running.

Make sure you have enough distilled water in the battery resivours. :)

Hi

Thanks for the replies, The indicator says the battery is fine (green) and I checked and topped up the distilled water about 2 weeks back.

I will however have it checked as it took a very long time to charge after the last refill (much longer than it normally takes).

Last edited:
After charging, it should be around 12v.
Test it with a multimeter, then keep checking every hour to see if the charge is dropping.

Just checked it after it has been standing for around 6 hours and its at 10V so pretty sure its the battery.

Thanks all.

As has been mentioned above, it sounds like your battery is dying. When you turn the ignition key and all the lights/ electrical components go off, can you hear a 'click' or 'clicking' noise from the engine bay? If you can, then that's the starter solenoid operating and that also gives a good indication that your battery is not able to supply enough current to operate the starter motor.

The fact that when you drive around for about 20 minutes or so suggests that the alternator is working correctly and charging the battery. What appears to be happening is that when you leave the car standing the battery discharges itself.

So you either have a short in your wiring somewhere that is discharging the battery when not in use or the battery is worn out. Have you recently fitted any extra components to the electrical system such as a stereo system? Has any work been done on the electrics at all? If it's not that, then it would seem that your battery is simply not able to hold charge any more and you need to replace it with a new item. You should be able to get your battery checked by a good garage to confirm whether or not it is worn out or not.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Last edited:
Huzzah!

celebration6_3.jpg

Back