General Trip computer accuracy

Currently reading:
General Trip computer accuracy

gavin

How accurate are the trip computers?, whilst out driving a m/jet Active 75 demo car, i reset the computer and managed to record an average fuel consumption of 78mpg!, over 12 miles of flat roads, no traffic, no stop start, minimal braking and accelerating, steady speed around 50mph.

I reset the trip computer in my 147 every time I fill up (every day). It's the same Magnetti Marelli system so I can say it's pretty accurate as I've done the maths with a calculator.

Even so, 78mpg is great! That really is a fantastic engine, you must be very light with the loud pedal. Saying that tho, with my 147 I manage 32mpg over 400 miles, but I tried driving economically and managed 50mpg for the first 60 miles till I got bored :D

I think you'd find that the more you drove it, the more that figure would come down. I reset the one on my 1.2 8v Mk2 Punto, and for 10 minutes it was reading 80mpg :eek: But after that it slowly came down and a couple of days (and cold starts) later it was back at 42mpg

A few months ago a car magazine set a new unofficial world record of approx 120 mpg in a Renault Clio dci.

So 78mpg could be correct.

courtster said:
Even so, 78mpg is great! That really is a fantastic engine, you must be very light with the loud pedal.
I must admit, i was trying. Even so, i'm expecting to get 60+mpg driving normally. Having had various diesels before, i'm quite looking forward to the arrival of our new 1.3 m/jet 90 Dynamic, in mid April.

Back