Transferring Private number plate

Currently reading:
Transferring Private number plate

austenw90

'13 Punto MultiAir 105
Good evening

Well today after a lot of thought and contemplation I decided to swap in my Bravo. It wasn't an easy decision but I can't wait to pick my new car up Tuesday evening :) I'm a little hesitant to say what it is other than it is a VAG group car as I'm not looking for any negativity or criticism just some advice on how I transfer my private plate?

I have the form from the gov.uk website but am not 100% sure how it works...

Do I give the dealer my car and complete the new keeper supplement on the registration document which has my private plate printed on it? Then drive away the new car with the original registration remaining in place until DVLA confirm they have received the V317 and my cheque for £80?

The gov.uk doesn't explain it that well in my opinion. Then again nothing with the DVLA seems particularly easy...

Thanks in advance.

Austen

Last edited:
Don't give V5C transfer docs to dealer with your private plate on, or you'll loose it and it'll become theirs, this is the one hassle with private plates, can take up to 6 weeks to sort iirc, especially with christmas, ideally should have put it on retention a few weeks back, i've only done transfer from one car to another (£80) when both cars have been within the names of family members.

This is my understanding anyway.

It used to be instant when you could go to DVLA office, but they're all shut now :)

Someone else might come along who is better informed though (y)

Don't give V5C transfer docs to dealer with your private plate on, or you'll loose it and it'll become theirs, this is the one hassle with private plates, can take up to 6 weeks to sort iirc, especially with christmas, ideally should have put it on retention a few weeks back, i've only done transfer from one car to another (£80) when both cars have been within the names of family members.

This is my understanding anyway.

It used to be instant when you could go to DVLA office, but they're all shut now :)

Someone else might come along who is better informed though (y)

Thanks for your help. I assume I can leave my car with them without giving the V5C document? It is a large franchised main dealer so have no interest in the plates. This seems quite confusing :confused: wish I'd not bothered with the private plate now!

There is a DVLA centre nearby in Portsmouth, would they be able to put it on retention straight away??

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I assume I can leave my car with them without giving the V5C document? It is a large franchised main dealer so have no interest in the plates. This seems quite confusing :confused: wish I'd not bothered with the private plate now!

If the garage is happy doing that, but they're going to loos upto 6 weeks of value on the car with it sitting unsellable.

There is a DVLA centre nearby in Portsmouth, would they be able to put it on retention straight away??

They've all closed through out the UK as of last month (n)

EDIT, just checked, 5 left according to DVLA site and this includes Portsmouth - lucky gite lol.

Last edited:
So if I wanted I could just leave it on and let them have it to save the hassle?

They mentioned something about charging £200+ to handle the retention process for me... The plate wasn't much more than that. Seems like a lot of bother really. Might pop back to see them tomorrow to get a definitive answer.

I've read on forums and other sites that people have drawn up simple contracts with dealers / buyers stating that the sale does not include the plate just to cover themselves whilst the paperwork is sorted. Obviously the dealer can't shift it until the new doc comes through but by the time they've considered what to do with it the paperwork is usually sorted.

Back