Technical Transaxle gearbox lock

Currently reading:
Technical Transaxle gearbox lock

Davies23

Car now runs after the top half of the engine had a rebuild (I was extremely happy it sounds ok) unfortunately I turned the engine by hand whilst in gear and one wheel was off the ground the other was on the ground. It then made a click like it stalled

It won’t go backwards or forwards it leans backwards and forwards but lurches either way.

Attachments

• IMG_4154.MOV
    26.8 MB
Can you select neutral ? if so can you turn a wheel or push the car ?
if so it could be the engine that as locked, could the cam belt have
slipped.

If in gear, engine off, wheels off ground .....If you turn one wheel by hand the other wheel will turn opposite direct. That's normal operation of differential great.

I think vehicle has been stood for some long time- the handbrake could very well have stuck on / shoes rusted too drums if rear drum brakes or caliper or pads if disc rear brakes.

Just to be clear, can the engine be turned in the correct direction of rotation by hand several revolutions with no damage/locking up, to be sure there is no cambelt/tensioner issues as "RalphM" mentions and if so is it possible to start the engine safely with the clutch pedal depressed, just so we know it is a gearbox/transmission issue.
If so is it possible as "jackwhoo" mentions a sticking brake pad/disc or did you only have one front wheel off the ground?

Hi all, so the problem was caused during the rebuild when I turned the engine by hand (one wheel being on the ground and it being in gear and the other being off the ground) I couldn’t push the car and when I tried it would dip down to the front as it was being stopped by it being Jammed in gear.

However got it jack up whilst running I could select all gears without putting in the clutch.

I went through all the gears a few times then the gearbox made a crunch like it was going into gear and then I pressed the clutch and ran through the gears meeting it out each time and it now works.

Back