General tracking

Currently reading:
General tracking

vyvsdad

Hello Everyone

I a newbie and am looking into buying a car based van, you know Kangoo Berlingo Doblo etc etc.
I had finally decided on a Doblo and thought I'd ask a cabbie what he thought of the car (a 1.3 three hi top. about 2006, for what it's worth)
He said it was a great car, but he wouldn't buy one because there was a design flaw in that there was a problem with the tracking that meant he had to change the tyres every couple of months, and as it was inherent in the design couldn't be rectified buy a garage.
This to me seems extraordinary, and was wandering if anyone else has experience of this.

Also, whilst I'm here (and I'm aware that this may well open a can of worms) 1.3 multi jet: Good choice?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

The tracking is a real problem with these cars?
My 2006 1.9jtd seems to go through a pair of fronts every 3 years.
I wouldn't say that constituted an inherant fault. I reckon the taxi has had some sort of front end prang that was never repaired properly!

What doesn't help is the power this lump churns out - loads of times I end up wheelspinning away from a standing start

If it's a design fault then Mrs_G's Doblo must be faulty as she usually gets 30,000+ miles out of a set of front tyres.

1.3? Can't really express an opinion but Mrs_G's Doblo has done getting on for half a million miles on the original 1.9 JTD. We chose this version to keep the engine revs down when cruising on the motorway.

Have to swap my tyres round every couple of months to get even wear.

Have been fully tracked & checked twice - No problems.
I'm now on my 2nd set of tyres - 2 sets over 3 years.

I have had un-even wear on tyres on 2 Doblos an 02 and 04. On the 04 we replaced the track rod ends and wish bones not an expensive job but well worth it as I now have even wear on both front tyres. It's a known problem in the older models but easily fixed.

They are tyre hounds :cry::cry: the 2 we have owned ate tyres even with new pans & joints may be OK if Mway all the time, ask taxi operators what milage they get on a set of fronts.

Not many lucky to get 10k on a new front set of tyres back one 40k + no probs
tracking check and re check every time new tyres fitted.

A taxi is bound to eat through fronts - they do shedloads of mileage & a heck of a lot of very slow manouvres.
There is nothing wrong with the car, the fault is most likely with the way it is driven.
Because of the power steering, people simply turn the wheel whilst the car is stationary - this cannot be doing the tyres any favours since you have the heaviest part of the car sat directly on the front wheels.
The PS system is very powerful, I often wonder if some of the tracking problems come from turning the steering whilst the car is at a dead stop?

Pre-power steering, we were always taught to only steer with the car rolling, no matter how slowly it is rolling, the drag on the tyres will be greatly reduced.

Back