Technical Towing with a 2wd (and 750L..)

Currently reading:
Technical Towing with a 2wd (and 750L..)

jeffcapeshop

I'm building a boat that needs to be trailered, and currently my only car is a 750L - so i'm wondering what options are there for fitting a towbar and probably more importantly, will it be able to tow anything?

I have roughly worked out the weight of boat+trailer will be in the 400-500kg (900-1100lb) range

There is also an issue with launching ramps, which can be steep.. tbh i reckon this would be beyond the car but thought i'd check the basics before looking further into that.

Another car just for dragging a boat about a few times a year seems extravagant.. though maybe it's the excuse i need to get a 4x4!

Hi, there was exact same 750+ small boat setup on here few years back. Iirc Vern had towed one with Charmander while the car was in his possession. It looked stunning with match wheels and colours.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Let me know if you're interested in second hand ones.
I've got two types for sale.

That price seems to be bloody expensive to me. I will sort out some photos if interested.

Certainly would be, yeah - sounds like it's worth some experimentation at least - let me know!

I had a 750 years ago, they're about 700 kg and put out 33 BHP. Let's face it, they're slow. Sloooooww.

If you hitch up another 1/2 a ton on the back, it's going to struggle to move at all, let alone up a slippery launch ramp. Save up for that 4x4..

Cheers,

Plug

That ebay company pf jones make the tow bars to order and quote 35 working days - that's up to 7 weeks! They don't tell you this until you've paid though.
To be fair I got a same day refund as I didn't want to wait.

As someone who regularly tows boats, albeit not with my Panda but something considerably slower, I can assure you 500kg is well within its capability. Dont forget boats are inherently streamlined as well. A slippery slipway is easily overcome with a length of rope between car and trailer anyway. ;)

Here are my tow bars.

There are at least tree types.
type 1 - attached to my sisley - not for sale.
type 2 - 3x mounting points,
type 3 - 5x mounting points.

Tow ball and ellectric kit is brand new, I can do so mix & match for the guard plate, dropp plate, etc. , Just let me know which bits and i will get the price and shipping quote, or feel free to collect.

Attachments

• IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    828.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3760.JPG
    IMG_3760.JPG
    812.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG