General Total Noob with problems

Currently reading:
General Total Noob with problems

mattjolley

Hi everyone I've just spent around an hour reading loads of helpful stuff in various posts which I can relate to as my ancient Punto has had tonnes of Problems! Including a new clutch having to be fitted, a new sump, and a new radiator. It's a P-reg (so round 96 if I'm right?)

Anyway the latest problem is that The spring under the driver's side wiper has come off, so the wiper itself has gone extremely loose and cant clear water off the screen. Its obv been loose for a long while as going over 50MPH the wiper hardly cleared the suface but now with no spring it doesnt clear fook all.

My question is, can you replace this with a spring from a scrapyard, and if so, would it have to be the exact same model as my punto?

Another question, when i go round corners i get a loud squeaking noise and it does my head in, any ideas? Ive been told that a lot of old puntos do it for no apparent reason but i dont see how this could be the case. Sorry for the (probably) daft questions! Also, when I refill the window washer it often leaks and halfway through a journey and my washer is empty, i have seen it leak down the driveway and i dont know of its because i overfill it, but wouldnt it come out through the cap then and not underneath? So I dunno what thats all about either! I went through a period where my washer lasted for ages so im really confused with that!

I should be glad really that ive only got small problems for once haha.

Matt

I had a leaking problem with my Punto as well. On mine, there is a kind of "connector" joining two tubes - if you look straight down where the filler cap is (inside the engine compartment), you should see small disc about 1cm dia joining 2 thin tubes . The top cover was broken on mine, so I disconnected the two pipes, took out the connector and fixed is using domestic radiator leak sealer.

Maybe you have a similar problem ?

I had a leaking problem with my Punto as well. On mine, there is a kind of "connector" joining two tubes - if you look straight down where the filler cap is (inside the engine compartment), you should see small disc about 1cm dia joining 2 thin tubes . The top cover was broken on mine, so I disconnected the two pipes, took out the connector and fixed is using domestic radiator leak sealer.

Maybe you have a similar problem ?

ye indeed it's called a one way valve and will simply need replacing as the diaphragm in it has perished it's not worth messing about with them they only cost penies

same for the wiper i'm afraid you'd be lucky if you could stretch a new spring across it so may aswell just get the hole arm from another car

you can get a wiper arm and one way valve from my old car if you live near windermere

the squeaking noise i cant be sure of it's nothing i have heard of being common of older puntos can you be a little more specific were is it coming from is the car hot cold does it do it all the time and how exactly do you make it do it that sort of thing

ancient Punto
Ha! ancient, i'm looking for another 18yr old (min) x1/9 :D

I too have a squeking noise, It happens when rear wheel goes up when cornering, annoying in the 1% of journeys im not listening to music.

im afraid i live nowhere near windemere its about a three hour drive so thats not possible mate, thanks though. can you not buy them from auto part shops? i ended up buying a new wiper arm from my local dealership, **** easy to replace.

just an update it seems there was a small tube which was connected by a plastic pice which came out the side of the screenwash compartment which was loose. weird design.

Back