General Top speed tipo

Currently reading:
General Top speed tipo

bubi

What is the top speed of 1995 1.6 i.e 75HP with Bosch electronics?
It should go 170km/h, but i was driving it 180 and it was at 4100rpm(max 5800rpm?! )?

What is the top speed of 1995 1.6 i.e 75HP with Bosch electronics?
It should go 170km/h, but i was driving it 180 and it was at 4100rpm(max 5800rpm?! )?

Your speedo is over reading due to a fault with it or you have the wrong wheels and tyres on. Max speed all out is about 110mph or approx 176kph. This is with a slow top speed build up of speed over 2-3 km.

Andy.:)

Read this topic
https://www.fiatforum.com/tipo/61781-top-speed.html
to see how fast someone else has gone with a Fiat Tipo 1.6 (if there is one...).

Personally I think there is a problem with the speedometer. Only if you had a diesel you could have seen such a speed with so low rev/min.
My Tipo 1.4 (72hp) doesn 't have a rpm counter, however I have seen once 180 km/h at a declining road with the motor roaring. I must had about 6000rpm at that time...

Car is not totally stock. It has Remus performance exhaust, sport KN air filter (panel) and tyres are 185x60x14.
I think that something is wrong with speedo, because today on highway at 5800rpm in 5th gear it touched the end of scale 200km/h.
bubi:)

Hi, in my opiniion the speed is result of the the rims-tires you fited (185/60/14) that means when you see 200km/h the real speed is about 185-190 km/h. But the amazing is the rpm you saw 180km/h@4100rpm and 200km/h@5800rpm that means the K&N filter+Remus exhaust work perfect with your car!!!!
Tip:when you running at top speed with after market air filter+exhaust ONLY then A/F ratio is very low...
My top speed (1.4 '92-70hp) is 180km/h with 165/65/14 tires, colombo metal air filter, after market exhaust manifold and NGK iridium sparkplugs....

Mine was 195 km/h with 165/65/14 with 1.4 ie engine. But it was at the time, my catalyser was destroyed and it was cut out from the exhaust pipe and exhaust pipe had no feedback. Now with my new catalyser, it has only 170-180 hm/h top.

Mine was 195 km/h with 165/65/14 with 1.4 ie engine. But it was at the time, my catalyser was destroyed and it was cut out from the exhaust pipe and exhaust pipe had no feedback. Now with my new catalyser, it has only 170-180 hm/h top.

My has original catalyser fitted.
I think that speedos in Tipo are lying for 15-20km/h.
Forgot to write , I drilled the cover of air filter and sound is fantastic:D .

I think that speedos in Tipo are lying for 15-20km/h.
I don't think so... They might steal a few km/h but not so much.
My car may reach 120 km/h at the speedometer with 3rd gear and that's exactly the top speed Fiat announces for the 3rd gear.

130 on a Sedici dial isn't 130. GPS suggests 118.
Exactly. Thats almost 20 km/h.
That's not almost 20km/h, it's almost 10km/h...
To generalize, most speedometers steal at high speeds, however it's different to say that they steal 10km/h than to say they steal 20km/h.
At 100km/h speedometer speed most cars have an actual speed between 95-100km/h and this error usually grows as speed increases, remaining however at reasonable extents.
Personally I have tried my speedometer by going parallel to a VW Golf IV at 100km/h speedometer speed. His speedometer speed was ~98km/h and his speed was confirmed by a GPS showing he was going at 98km/h.
I own a Fiat Tipo 1.4 i.e and I have seen 45 km/h with 1st gear, 80km/h with 2nd gear, 120km/h with 3rd gear, 170km/h with 4th gear and 180 km/h (at a road with declination) with 5th gear. I don' t have a rpm counter, the changes between the gears have all been done at max rev/min. Fiat announces 45/80/120/167 km/h top speed for the first 4 gears.
I leave the conlusions to you...

12mph difference = 19.2kph, not 10kph.
Tipos are pretty aerodynamic, and i know from experiance as long as you have a long enough road, they will windup to a decent speed. My 1991 sedici i had nudging 140mph.

12mph difference = 19.2kph, not 10kph.
Tipos are pretty aerodynamic, and i know from experiance as long as you have a long enough road, they will windup to a decent speed. My 1991 sedici i had nudging 140mph.

Nudging 140mph dial or 140mph GPS?

That wasn't top speed, but as quick as I was prepared to go in the conditions. i.e. empty dual carriageway at night with an audi with 4 blokes in bomber jackets just having done a U-turn across infront of me, and the flashing of the lights. :eek:

Nudging 140mph dial or 140mph GPS?

That wasn't top speed, but as quick as I was prepared to go in the conditions. i.e. empty dual carriageway at night with an audi with 4 blokes in bomber jackets just having done a U-turn across infront of me, and the flashing of the lights. :eek:

140 dial.
I had a similar situation when i pi**ed on a BMW M5 with the Coupe T. They took a vengeful attitude and started chasing me. Was several miles of high speed adrenalin with 2 big bald headed guys growling at me in my rear view mirror. Thankfully i shook them off when a lorry blocked them!! God knows the speeds i was touching. The brembos took it all in their stride.

Andy.;)

I didn't understand that 130,118,... where in mph and not in kph...
In that case the speedometer shows ~20km/h more than the actual speed when at ~210km/h.
As I have already mentioned my car shows ~100km/h when it has an actual speed of ~98km/h.

The unofficial scale for a speedo is to allow for a 10% difference. so at 100mph or 160kph, you are allowed 10mph or 16kph. This of course can be over or under the speedo reading. Another way to mesure the speedo accurately, is to work out the gearing. If the gearing is 20mph/32kph per 1000 revs, at 5000 revs it will do 100mph/160kph. But remember, running different tyres/wheels will alter the gearing.

Yesterday's "achievement" with my Fiat Tipo 1.4
The car has no mechanical improvement, the road was a bit downhill though:)

P.S. 183 kmph ~= 114 mph

Wow thats pretty good going , lucky if my georgy will do a ton with a back wind and a 45 degree hill .......
As I mentioned the road had a slight declination to help me reach that speed, however I was able to keep 180 kph for a few seconds even when the road became plane. The wind was blowing vertically to the car so it didn 't help me at all. The car was loaded with Shell V-Power Racing if that makes any difference. I had seen 180 kph one more time, however I didn 't have the chance to take a picture then.
At a plane road the car may not accelerate beyond 170 kph and can keep for a lot of time a speed of at most 160 kph or below, depending on the declination.

P.S. I 'm not sure if that was the top speed someone can see as I had to brake having reached slower cars while the car was still accelerating slowly.

P.S. (2) Does anyone know the gearbox ratios for a tipo 1.4 i.e. 1992 model? To be more precise I mean how many kph do I gain every 1000 rpm with every gearbox speed?
Is there any chance that this anyone would know where the rev limiter activates? As you can see at the photo my car doesn 't have a rev meter and I have only heard that it activates at approximately 6300 rpm. Is this true?

Back