Technical Top end and oil colour

Currently reading:
Technical Top end and oil colour

pete123

Established member
Hi I'm at a loss my multipla has a white oil cap dip stick is normall on line it says a pcv valve what is this. Why is the oil cap white I am not loosening water do have a lite oil leak that I can't find and it did have the choc colour before but changed oil and had head gasket checked was both ok some people say mix a bit of diesel with the oil is this true or will it go bang car is a 1.6 w reg multi :). This is a ongoing problem so please don't reply with head gasket gone ........ Thanks

Pete, PCV in your case refers to the crankcase breather system,

If the crankcase breather is blocked, then this would put the crankcase under pressure which could cause oil leaks as the gasket and seals can't cope.
This also fits in with the mayo on the oil cap, no air flow in crankcase means any condensation can't escape and will just build up.
I'd check the piping and give it an italian tune-up, once your CERTAIN that the breather system is venting correctly and see what happens, you need to get the oil temp as high as poss so this means 80+ for 20 mins min.

Ok I'll give 80 plus ago I do mixed driving sometimes drive my car hard on m25 100 plus some times like a Granney it did spend 3 years in a sea side town and never saw a motorway

Pete,
as long as the breather pipe is CLEAR.

If it ain't, then it's going to put even more strain on the crankcase seals. Hope this works for you cos it's cheap and non labour intensive (Very un-Multi like!!)

The bloke I work with is gonna check the pipe tomorrow and because there cheap to replace might just put new one on to be on the safe side

Back