Tools - What Set up and where to Buy.

Currently reading:
Tools - What Set up and where to Buy.

same here, seriously reccomend getting some quality tools, otherwise you'll spend most of your time rounding bolts then cutting them off (n)

and if you ever snap something, when you have the only working car (which you've just dismantled) and break the only socket that will get the thing backtogether adn the only place that will sell a replacement is 15miles away, then yeah, it frigging sucks:bang:

probably a bit late now. but homebase were selling Kosch tools (dunno how good they are but looking at previous prices :eek: ) cheaply to clear. though i'd assume most of them have gone now. but may be worth a look. if you're ever near one.

I use Halfords pro.

A good set of tools are essential, Ive had cheap tat in the past, but they are just pap in comparison.

Being poor I couldnt afford snap on etc, so went for Halfords professional on a recommendation, and I am impressed. All tools have a life time guarantee (y)

As to what to get, buy the basics first, then when you need something add to it so its not a big initial outlay and your tool size gradually increases.

I wont list all my tools, but below will cover 95% of all work on a fiat.

2ft breaker bar
3 leg puller (adjustable)
Ratchet
sockets
sockets deepdish
Socket extentions
Spanners
Allen key set
screw driver set
Spark plug removal tool (or deep socket)
Torque wrench
decent trolley jack
axle stands
Pliers
wire cutters/strippers/crimpers
Mole grips
Hammer

Luxury items - not needed but ooooohhhh nice and can come in handy

2 Torque wrenches in at least 2 sizes (big and small)
Torx set
Ratchet spanners
Ratchet at 1/4 drive - for those small places
socket set at 1/4 drive
Allen key sockets (so you can use a ratchet on them)
spring compressors
second trolley jack
Stillsons in 2 sizes
2 leg puller
Impact sockets

halfords do some good quality tools for a reasonable price, I have a Yamoto socket set at work which I can't fault, but if I'm after tools for home I buy the cheap ones (if it breaks work will replace it ;) )

I have a:

SILVERLINE 25pc METRIC spanner set
SILVERLINE 25pc 1/2 Drive Socket Set
SILVERLINE 80nm - 250nm Torque Wrench
Pair of 2 Tonne Folding/Adjustable Axel Stands
Bricks
Wood
Hammer
Screwdrivers

Make sure you get a Torque Wrench. Your cars bolts are only meant to be tightened to a specific power. Too much could mean something sheers or snaps. Too little could be your bolts fall off and end you up dead!

I have been meaning for ages to post back about what i got, needless to say i bought a hell of alot, alot of halfords pro extreme (due to a cock up and my trade card ;) heavily reduced), clark pro etc, even some Teng tools stuff.

Will do an inventory and post back.

Needless to say i went out to the garage to have a look and found a whole host of snap-on tools, all 25yrs old, and ALL AF!

Back