IMG_0476.JPG

Uno Tommyd97's Uno 60S

Introduction

Hey everyone so i've been on the forum a little while been doing a thread for my Panda 100hp. my most recent purchase however is a Fiat Uno 1991 60S.

I bought it online with out seeing the car. It was delivered on Friday. it doesn't look in great shape, the paint work has all faded and there are lots of dents in the body panels.

the inside is very clean tho and after getting on the ramp and having a look underneath there is no rust at all so really happy with that.

Its done just over 21000 miles and unbelievably still has the original tyres on the rear. they will need changing because they are perished.

the car has been off the road for a few years and therefore has not been mot'd in god knows how long.

first plans for the Uno: get new tyres, sort the passenger side headlight (hopefully that is just going to be a bulb), and replace the side indicator light as the clip that holds it in the panel has snapped, also cleaning it up and trying to get the colour back in the paint, and the black plastic numbers and trim.
Tommy, do you have any idea if I would have problems with a wheel upsize from 13" to 15" or alteast 14" .My current tire size is 145 70r13

Re your manifold, there's a lot of heat generated so most are rusty anyway....I can't remember but there's usually a guard over it which also rusts.

I'm working on another car at the moment but I get manifolds blast cleaned and then spray with an aerosol of high temp paint ( I like Hycote). Preparation and proper curing is the key, clean with solvent after blasting to remove any dust and also grease from your hands. Directions are usually light coats but I put it on fairly thickly after an initial light coat. Keep shaking the can at it can block easily.

After painting, hang up on a hook and apply heat, gently to start and then more intense to cure the paint. Best way is on the car and run it, but that's difficult initially. The oven is also a good idea, partner needs to be accomodating but beware of a lingering smell if you do it without telling her.

I've done quite a few manifolds, the one on my Droopsnoot Firenza used to glow red after a run but the paint was still excellent after 10 years.

Tommy, do you have any idea if I would have problems with a wheel upsize from 13" to 15" or alteast 14" .My current tire size is 145 70r13

i've not tried it but i would imagine you could easily get 14's on it with out any problems.

15's might be a squeeze but some low profile trye should be okay.

try this website its pretty could. http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Re your manifold, there's a lot of heat generated so most are rusty anyway....I can't remember but there's usually a guard over it which also rusts.

I'm working on another car at the moment but I get manifolds blast cleaned and then spray with an aerosol of high temp paint ( I like Hycote). Preparation and proper curing is the key, clean with solvent after blasting to remove any dust and also grease from your hands. Directions are usually light coats but I put it on fairly thickly after an initial light coat. Keep shaking the can at it can block easily.

After painting, hang up on a hook and apply heat, gently to start and then more intense to cure the paint. Best way is on the car and run it, but that's difficult initially. The oven is also a good idea, partner needs to be accomodating but beware of a lingering smell if you do it without telling her.

I've done quite a few manifolds, the one on my Droopsnoot Firenza used to glow red after a run but the paint was still excellent after 10 years.

thanks Kenbo707 I'll give that a go :)

I have 14" on mine, initially I had 185/60 14 tyres, but they rubbed, especially at the front, so I`m on 175/65 14 now (& the speedo is very accurate, I think it would be 100% accurate with 175/60 14`s.).

I havent tried 15", but I do want to try 15" Multipla steels at some point as they seem to have a slightly deeper dish.

how do you think this would look.

yeah looks good mate. you might want to watch that the width isn't too big you don't want the rim poking outside of the arch.

i have my panda 100hp wheels that i might put on the Uno they are 15s with a 195 45 15 tyre. but i'm afraid if i do that i might need to lower the Uno

yeah looks good mate. you might want to watch that the width isn't too big you don't want the rim poking outside of the arch.

i have my panda 100hp wheels that i might put on the Uno they are 15s with a 195 45 15 tyre. but i'm afraid if i do that i might need to lower the Uno

Any idea about the Speedo correction.I don't want to use too low profile tyres cause the roads in India suck.

It should say on the website, or you can work it out by divide the current circumference of the tyre by the new circumference of the tyre and that ratio will be the speedo error. Are there many unos about in India?

I need some advice please. I have a cooling issue, the fan isn't kicking in to cool the engine, it got to 140celcius the other day before the fan started up. any ideas what this could be?

I need some advice please. I have a cooling issue, the fan isn't kicking in to cool the engine, it got to 140celcius the other day before the fan started up. any ideas what this could be?

If it is coming on it would signify the switch is likely to be faulty (its the big one half way down the side of the radiator itself.

Theres a possibility it could be a wiring problem, or a faulty fan, but the switch is the most likely culprit.

You can check it directly with a test light across the switch wiring to see if it operates at the right temperature.

Also, make sure theres no air bubbles in the cooling system, as that would give the switch a false reading (& could signify water loss).

I'd have to say if the gauge read 140 before the fan kicked in then you've more likely got an issue with the gauge. That's really far hotter than the coolant would be getting without giving you some other dramatic symptoms like bursting hoses and/or clouds of steam

I'd have to say if the gauge read 140 before the fan kicked in then you've more likely got an issue with the gauge. That's really far hotter than the coolant would be getting without giving you some other dramatic symptoms like bursting hoses and/or clouds of steam

There was alot of steam coming out of the coolant filler cap before the fan kicked in.

Back