IMG_0476.JPG

Uno Tommyd97's Uno 60S

Introduction

Hey everyone so i've been on the forum a little while been doing a thread for my Panda 100hp. my most recent purchase however is a Fiat Uno 1991 60S.

I bought it online with out seeing the car. It was delivered on Friday. it doesn't look in great shape, the paint work has all faded and there are lots of dents in the body panels.

the inside is very clean tho and after getting on the ramp and having a look underneath there is no rust at all so really happy with that.

Its done just over 21000 miles and unbelievably still has the original tyres on the rear. they will need changing because they are perished.

the car has been off the road for a few years and therefore has not been mot'd in god knows how long.

first plans for the Uno: get new tyres, sort the passenger side headlight (hopefully that is just going to be a bulb), and replace the side indicator light as the clip that holds it in the panel has snapped, also cleaning it up and trying to get the colour back in the paint, and the black plastic numbers and trim.
I started on the body work on Saturday, and i'm really surprised with how well the paint has come back to life. I started on the rear panel and have not yet touched the back door, but you can see the contrast. I used G3 Abrasive compound.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
todays update. I changed the side indicator and now is all working and i also took a few shots of the car. There is still along way to go until its even close to perfect but its alright looking a load better than it did when it first was delivered.

Attachments

• 11749651_10154046596458625_1545081171_n.jpg
    11749651_10154046596458625_1545081171_n.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 64
  • 11823904_10154046596548625_255511154_n.jpg
    11823904_10154046596548625_255511154_n.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 11824222_10154046596638625_1527100551_n.jpg
    11824222_10154046596638625_1527100551_n.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 77
I've started looking at insurance for the Uno,

I've had a look on compart the market the cheapest there is £831 for the year.

i've tried adrian flux and they quoted about the same £817 for the year.

i think that this is pretty high. i currently pay £500 for the year for my Fiat panda which i drive everyday.

can anyone give any suggestions on how to get it cheaper. i will prob only be doing 1000miles a year in the uno.

todays update;
so i spent some time cleaning the engine bay up, mainly using a steam cleaner and it looks a little better. also i fixed the passenger side head light, the bulb was fine so i cleaned up the terminals and it works fine now. just need to change the tyres on the back and it should be mot ready

Looking good!

It needs rustproofing ASAP though! pressure wash the underside, especially the rear turrets, leave to dry thoroughly, then rustproof the rear shock absorber turret joins (all the way round the join between it & the inner wing), the end of the sill, all the way down the sills where they join the floor.

If theres any cracked or damaged underseal/rubberised coating there (especially round the jacking points & front of the floor), peel it off, remove any rust, prime, paint, then coat with stonechip.

You should also do inside the sills with an extension & the inside of the doors, especially the bottom & the top of the door skin (under the window).

After you`ve done that, it should last another 20 years! (y)

Last edited:
Looking good!

It needs rustproofing ASAP though! pressure wash the underside, especially the rear turrets, leave to dry thoroughly, then rustproof the rear shock absorber turret joins (all the way round the join between it & the inner wing), the end of the sill, all the way down the underneath of the sills where they join the floor.

You should also do inside the sills with an extension & the inside of the doors, especially the bottom & the top of the door skin (under the window).

After you`ve done that, it should last another 20 years! (y)

It has already been done by the looks of it, and its going to be kept in a gargae all of the time. so hopefully it wont rust.

thanks for the Feedback. btw I found this site that does genuine fiat parts. becuase of the age of the car i've been struggling to find parts, but there is a good selection of original parts on http://www.ricambio.co.uk/

Oh, & make sure theres oil in the gearbox, & that theres no leaks from the driveshaft boots! (its probably got the C501, rod change, wet cup gearbox on a J-plate, the driveshaft boots hold the oil in & do deteriorate with time, if you leave it empty, it will blow the box, & they are hard to find now).

It has already been done by the looks of it, and its going to be kept in a gargae all of the time. so hopefully it wont rust.

thanks for the Feedback. btw I found this site that does genuine fiat parts. becuase of the age of the car i've been struggling to find parts, but there is a good selection of original parts on http://www.ricambio.co.uk/

Its great its been kept in a garage, but it will still rust if its been used in the wet, especially in the winter on salted roads!

The rear turrets are the main structural problem area, closely followed by the sill to floor joins, as the Fiat applied rubberised underseal dries & peels after 15-20 years, letting the water get underneath.

I know ricambio, I got my driveshaft boots & some bits & bobs from them last year :)

Oh, & make sure theres oil in the gearbox, & that theres no leaks from the driveshaft boots! (its probably got the C501, rod change, wet cup gearbox on a J-plate, the driveshaft boots hold the oil in & do deteriorate with time, if you leave it empty, it will blow the box, & they are hard to find now).

Thanks, i've got a mechanic to help me with all of the mechanical work. I'll mention that too him, thank you :)

something i was meaning to ask about.

all of the badges on the uno are looking way past their day.

does anyone know where i can get new ones?

i need 2 fiat badges. 2 60s badges and 1 Uno badge.

Back