General timing belt

Currently reading:
General timing belt

dmo123

hi people just a short question how much would i be looking at for a timing belt change at a garage on a bravo 1.6 16v x reg it was last done at 70k its now got 140k on the clock and still drives really well is it a big job to do thanks

my 1.6 cost me around £240 all in with timing kit and labour, i needed a new crank sensor but that was thrown in for free. Was in for about a day as they needed to remove wheel/liner to get to bolts.

Last edited:
Do it yourself mate, i can imagine it'd be a piece of cake on the 1.6, done a 1.4 12v (which mightaswell be an elastic band) and a 2.0 20v cambelt now, easy as pie.

Do it yourself mate, i can imagine it'd be a piece of cake on the 1.6, done a 1.4 12v (which mightaswell be an elastic band) and a 2.0 20v cambelt now, easy as pie.
thats why i asked about how big a job it would be mate i was thinking about doing it myself to save some money but knowing me i'll f*** the car up:bang:

Naw dude aslong as you work slowly and methodically then it'd be fine :) just dont knock anything! Good luck if you decide to do it!

Naw dude aslong as you work slowly and methodically then it'd be fine :) just dont knock anything! Good luck if you decide to do it!

surely adjusting the timing is the bit that makes it a whole lot harder

i wouldnt try it urself if u havent done it before. all well and good if u are handy with a spanner and u do have a decent guide, but if u mess up it could cost u an engine i did mine myself and it is easy but u need to line up all the marks and make sure u dont slip a tooth or anything.

my mechanic normally lends me his cam locking tool to make sure i dont mess up but i find it better with out it

It's up to you I would give it ago as long as you get all the timing marks alined your laughing. Once the belt is on and has been fully tensioned check the timing marks are alined, then to double check turn enigine over by hand with a rachet. (TURN THE ENGINE OVER BY THE CRANK SPROCKET ONLY, AND NOT THE CAM SPROCKET) If the timing is out you will feel it.

Last edited:
how would you know that the belt has been tensioned correctly before i give it ago

Back