General This will get some 'opinions' going . . .

Currently reading:
General This will get some 'opinions' going . . .

Well, there IS something to be said for Toyota Corolla :)

bland, boring, nothing special... except that it is well build and very reliable; like the duracell bunny, it keeps on going and going and going... you really have to crash it or drive it into the sea before it gives up.
there is something comforting to being able for 20 years in a row, to get in every day, to turn the key and drive off :p

Unless you get one of these bad boys!

Celica VVTi 190bhp engine in a Corolla - the hot hatch is back!!

I drove one a couple of years ago when I had it as the option of the company car. A really excellent and bloody fast drive, only problem was we could not get a pushchair in the boot - would not matter now though!!

39049-7-toy.jpg

I'm suprised that Alan had problems with the ZX. We had two, one diesel, one pertrol, one in the UK and one here.

Neither ever broke down or needed anything much doing to it. They were just very dull to drive, didn't corner very well and weren't terribly comfortable.

The Xsara seems much the same.

Still we had a Nissan Stanza having been told by the whole world that Nissans were reliable and it was a pile of..... well it wasn't very good!

Well, there IS something to be said for Toyota Corolla :)

bland, boring, nothing special... except that it is well build and very reliable; like the duracell bunny, it keeps on going and going and going... you really have to crash it or drive it into the sea before it gives up.
there is something comforting to being able for 20 years in a row, to get in every day, to turn the key and drive off :p

There was something very comforting in selling my girlfriend's '91 Corolla to a Polish bloke that knew how to weld all the rust...(y)

Last edited:
I'm suprised that Alan had problems with the ZX. We had two, one diesel, one pertrol, one in the UK and one here.
Funny enough just after I got rid I bought a Zantia saloon at auction as it was such a bargain and sold on 6 mths later for a good bit of profit :)
Still we had a Nissan Stanza having been told by the whole world that Nissans were reliable and it was a pile of..... well it wasn't very good!
God they were awful and you had to be going down hill on the motorway to use 5th gear....

Ours was a 1.8, so not so bad. In fact when it worked it was quite a good car with a lot of extras. It's just a combination of reliability and Nissan garages which did for it.

I still like the idea of the Mini. My Dad's had both of the latest Cooper S models and raced them. They seem very good, can go four up and apparantly return mid 40s mpg when driven off the track.

I love my Italian, but one is enough. She doesn't like the cold, you can feel the reluctance to lower the windows and letty icy blasts inside, she shows it by slowing the electric windows in the winter. Sometimes she doesn't want to go so she freezes her handbrake on. Once I ignored this tantrum and drove off anyway, boy did I pay for that. Once that was fixed she decided to show her displeausre by freezing the handles shut. After a bit more than a year with no interior light she suddenly started it working again the other day, I think that was a reward for me buying her a new frock and shoes, oops, I mean new suspension and wheels. Of course she's all "butter wouldn't melt in my mouth" in the summer. Sometimes I'm not sure if this is a love afair or a battle of wills to the death!

well i in the stream room at my local pool. and there is a chap there 92 love him who has sold car all his life, of course he is in love with my b and tells me "never sell that one it is a classic " so i asked him one day if money was no object what car to buy??
he smiled and said a LEXUS my dear the are build to last,
I like the idea that it parks it self just what i need LOL
any one had one ???the old one go cheap as chips!!!
but could not see Gill in one:)

well i in the stream room at my local pool. and there is a chap there 92 love him who has sold car all his life, of course he is in love with my b and tells me "never sell that one it is a classic " so i asked him one day if money was no object what car to buy??
he smiled and said a LEXUS my dear the are build to last,
I like the idea that it parks it self just what i need LOL
any one had one ???the old one go cheap as chips!!!
but could not see Gill in one:)

I had an IS200 for a short while, nice car - lots of gadgets and toys as standard, comfy leather seats although not a terrific amount of leg room for the driver IIRC. 6 cyl engine made a great noise but didn't actually go very well and was VERY thirsty. Also, the boot hinges intrude into the boot space quite a bit so the boot looks big but not all of the space is usable.

ah the 800 series :)

i had a 820i once, paid £ 80 for it, drove it for 6 months or so till it became to expensive to run: Every time i stopped for gas, i had to also buy a gallon of motoroil and a bag of cat litter :)
previous owner "fixed" the leaking head with "blue tack" silicon kit and i couldnt bring myself to the take the head off and fix it properly. I mean spend + £100 to get the head machined for an 80 quid car? :eek:

Mind you, our driveway looked like a freshly drilled Saudi oilfield.. hence the bags of kittylitter :)

Back