General Think I should scrap?

Currently reading:
General Think I should scrap?

kevinstones

Found rot in the rear n/s floor pan, inner sill and managed to push holes with my thumb onto the rear of the outer sill. Think she had to go although I love her 20200419_145328.jpeg20200419_145305.jpeg20200419_145218.jpeg

What is the rest like..

Cars wont be going up in price for the foreseeable.. ;)

So getting another 12 months out of her.. while you look for something as good for you ..could be worth some basic welding

IF it needs the fuel tank dropping to access the rear extent.. then STOP

Its bad news from there.. :eek:
( how my sporting met its fate)

But my 1.2 active needed far more to the floor than you have shown ;)

Whats the score with the Covid MOT extension..??

The car has MOT until August. There are holes too in the sill but another one is £40 delivered. Now I have another problem. The car appears dead. No panel lights, no nothing. I haven't touched under the bonnet. I re-charged the car battery but there's still nothing electrically. Put a voltmeter on the battery and I have 12v but if I put the terminals on the battery then put the voltmeter on the battery . . nothing. Take off one of the terminals and I get a reading of 12v. Has me baffled. Don't want to scrap the car

Nothing worse than a rushed replacement purchase though.. :(

In the current lockdown.. buying a good replacement could be even harder :eek:

Under current UK rules this old punto wont need an MOT until 2021.. :)

It may still need an MOT, the 6 month extension is done on a weekly basis in the week leading up to expiry, as soon as it is deemed the extension is no longer required the practice will cease.

It sounds to me that you're not actually yourself going to be doing the repair? If you have a welder you trust I think you should let him/her take a look at it. Rust, as you're probably rapidly becoming aware, definitely operates on the "iceberg principle" in that you can only ever see the worst of it. You seem to have a generous helping there. Once you start cutting out the rusty bits you nearly always find a lot more hiding from sight.

Someone who is used to doing this sort of repair work will be able to quickly tell you if it's worth thinking about and give you a rough price. I have a wonderful chap who, although I have my own welding gear, I get to do my MOT welding repairs. Chassis/floor work does not need to be "pretty" like bodywork so much less labour is involved. My chap seems to have two prices £90 for smaller repairs - maybe patching the side of a box section - and £150 for larger repairs. He patched both front footwells on Felicity shortly before we sold her for that.

Back