General Thermostat

Currently reading:
General Thermostat

Tommy1967

Hi, I have a 2003 38 Ducati 2.8 thermostat Thermostat is stuck at the top, even though the engine is cool

Hi Tommy,,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you getting confused with technical terniniology? The thermostat is the wax filled device that sits in the coolant outlet of the engine, and opens as the engine approaches normal operating temperature.
Perhaps you are referring to the temperature gauge, or thermometer. If this is correct then possibly your sensor has failed and as suggested you will need a replacement. A wiring fault is an alternative possibility. Also the 2.8jtd has two different temperature sensors, one of which is for the gauge.

You have not given the engine version or Ducato model. From the year given, I am assuming an x244 2.8jtd, but it could be a late registered x230 2.8jtd.

Access for replacement is not simple, so perhaps it would be better if you confirm vehicle details.

Please note that a "Ducati" is a motorbike

Hi, I think it’s a 2.8 JTD. I’ve put the terminal back on the battery this happen as soon as I put the terminal back on so wondering if it may be electrical fault The bus still runs perfectly at normal temperature

Please confirm x244 from VIN either on vehicle plate or in V5C. It will have the form ZFA230.........., or ZFA244.......... Electrical wiring details are available for x244, but x230 more difficult. I can help more with x244 model, as it is what I have. The analogue indications on the x244 are very different from those on the x230.

I am attaching a photo of 2.8jtd with intercooler pipes, and engine cover removed. The sensors are in the approximate area of the yellow marking. I think that the relevant sensor is to the rear of the thermostat housing. Not easy to reach!
I’ve put the terminal back on the battery
Does this mean that the vehicle has been laid up? Or was it just a temporary disconnection, while working on vehicle?

Attachments

• Ducato 2.8 JTD Engine (2).jpg
    Ducato 2.8 JTD Engine (2).jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 28
2.8jtd, as I can just make out the four injector cables immediately to the rear of engine lifting lug.

For personal safety, I most strongly advise against disconnecting or reconnecting the battery positive, when the negative is still attached.

There is a lot of energy stored in a battery, you could get burnt, or start an electrical fire.

I cannot see any reason for the sensor or gauge to fail when the battery was reconnected, as presumably you reconnected with the ignition off. No power to gauge/sensor until ignition on.

Without wiring diagrams for the x230 2.8jtd, fault diagnosis is difficult. The sensor is the most likely cause, but it is a process of elimination. If you wish to try a new sensor, they can be bought on Ebay for about £12. The appropriate sensor has the two electrical blades at right angles. M16 x 1.5mm thread, 22mm spanner size. To get access you would have to remove several air hoses. New clips would be required for some, if not all. If you can get that far without draining the cooling syatem, I would be tempted to swap the connector to the new spare sensor, and earth the body. (It may be possible to hold it in a grounded jump cable.) If sensor is faulty, you will have to consider lowereing the coolant level. The top radiator hose clip would have to be cut off. Better access if LH headlamp is removed.

Sorry to be a Jonah, but you can see the problem.

Back