Technical the sliding door will not lock correctly unless I manually lift the U shape top right-hand side, how to fix

Currently reading:
Technical the sliding door will not lock correctly unless I manually lift the U shape top right-hand side, how to fix

mark pegasus

Hi Ducato mechanics, I have a problem with my 2008 3 litres sliding door, On the top right side of the door locking system, so it shuts tight when closed , a U shape open type of nut exists that should lift up vertically when i lift the door handle and close the sliding door, however--- it will not lift and unless i hold it up while i hold the door handle, this locking or holding the top back of the door tight in place when closed, stays slightly open. If I am not careful the door shuts tight and will not open, ( a small trick lever half way down the down end - where the black plastic that cover the runner is has turned inward , I have clicked this with a screw driver and it opens - but atm but not any more ) it as a trick type of lever or switch has turned around ) I looked up on 'youtube' and saw a 'Renault' with a similar issue and all it required was loosening the bolts and turning the U shape open type of nut and it would flip upright again, On my 'Ducato' the system is the same but the nuts to loosen do not seem to exist ? However I feel a way must exist as the mechanism is the same as the Renault, Does anyone know how to make this U shape nut closing system on the top of the sliding door - right side lift up?

A photo may help, in your original posting I thought you were referring to the top slider guide.
Does it look anything like this, in which case is the spring part working? Also if door not correctly aligned they have the habit of the locating/locking pin riding over and jamming.
1699283636221.png

thank you very much , a photo , next time i will put one on,i am learning about the formun as i go along , yes this is the correct issue ,

are they difficult to replace or do i require a panel beater to put it on , in my case the door closes fine , if i lift the U up while i hold the door out at the same time,
is their a trick i need to do to make the job easier?
if i need to buy a new part can you please tell me what it is called

sorry to ask so many questions
cheers
mark

thank you very much , i put in a couple of shots. Hope you can open these up. I will put one on, I am learning about the formun as I go along , yes this is the correct issue ,

are they difficult to replace or do i require a panel beater to put it on, in my case, the door closes fine , if i lift the U up while i hold the door out at the same time,
is their a trick i need to do to make the job easier?
if i need to buy a new part can you please tell me what it is called

sorry to ask so many questions
cheers
mark

Attachments

• P1040261.JPG
    P1040261.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 38
  • P1040262.JPG
    P1040262.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
If that lock catch is faulty, it should be a case of of unbolting the two 10mm bolts and easing it out and unhooking the operating rod.
I have changed several over the years but usually on basic vans so maybe more access than a camper with interior paneling, mostly it was a case of popping off the clips holding a simple card type cover on the inside of the door.
First with door open I would turn that lock to it's fully closed position and then pull on the door outer handle, the clip should spring to it's fully released position, if it does, simply oil it and leave it alone. The main adjustment is by the door slide mechanism to get it to align and then any final adjustment is done, from memory by slackening and moving the 13mm pin on the van body that the lock catch engages with. From what you say if the rest is working correctly and aligning as it should , it may just be a case of a small adjustment of the 13mm pin/peg that the lock engages with.
This is one I found on a quick eBay search so no recommendations and up to you to check if correct side etc.
eBay item number:404301970665.

Back