The quick question thread

Currently reading:
The quick question thread

Re: Quick Question thread

well you couldnt use the 1.1 crank on a 1.4 anyways because the 1.4 comes from being bored AND stroked. Unless you wanted an ultra low compression engine :p plus the 16v head isnt a great idea for high revs because there isnt an easily available solution to replace the hydraulic valve lifters... yet, although we live in hope.

A 1.4 8v with uprated everything and a fully flowed top end with ITBs would be the way to go for a screamer engine, although the 16vs can go fairly far as well.
A bit late into this I know, but I always thought a 16v revved higher than an 8v simply by dint of a greater valve area being able to put more fuel and air into the combustion chambers.

A 1.4 16v will rev up to 6750 before the rev limiter cuts in.

A bit late into this I know, but I always thought a 16v revved higher than an 8v simply by dint of a greater valve area being able to put more fuel and air into the combustion chambers.

A 1.4 16v will rev up to 6750 before the rev limiter cuts in.

greater valve area yes, so more mixture flow, therefore more power per revolution. Thats why the 16v makes more power than the 8v even though they have similar limiters, and in fact the 16v makes its peak power slightly earlier (on my sporting it arrives at 5000rpm as opposed to the 8v's 5300rpm)

When you design an engine with hydraulic valve lifters they can only rev so far before the hydraulic element starts to fill up under pressure and introduces valve float (valves not shutting properly) im not 100% on the mechanics of it but thats the effect it has anyways. The "safe" limit varies from engine design to engine design, but if i remember correctly on the superFIRE engines its about 7500. In contrast, the FIRE 8vs are happy to at least 8000, and some say even 9000, before the strength of the valve springs themselves are called into question.

greater valve area yes, so more mixture flow, therefore more power per revolution. Thats why the 16v makes more power than the 8v even though they have similar limiters, and in fact the 16v makes its peak power slightly earlier (on my sporting it arrives at 5000rpm as opposed to the 8v's 5300rpm)

When you design an engine with hydraulic valve lifters they can only rev so far before the hydraulic element starts to fill up under pressure and introduces valve float (valves not shutting properly) im not 100% on the mechanics of it but thats the effect it has anyways. The "safe" limit varies from engine design to engine design, but if i remember correctly on the superFIRE engines its about 7500. In contrast, the FIRE 8vs are happy to at least 8000, and some say even 9000, before the strength of the valve springs themselves are called into question.
Surely even mechanical tappets will suffer from valve bounce, although I seem to remember U.S. high performance engines used to replace hydraulic with what they called "Solid Lifters".

If the 1.4 16v will produce a comfortable 95 bhp and the 8v version is 20 horses down on that, surely it would take a lot of mechanical work such as gas flowing, boring and stroking, new and bigger valves etc., that's a hell of a lot of hard work in comparison with the present day tactic of re-programming the ECU.

A long time ago, Blydenstein Racing, the tuning arm of Vauxhall bored and stroked a 2.3 SOHC Vauxhall Victor out to 2.6 and gave it a 20% increase in power and an even bigger boost in torque. It actually developed its peak power at a lower engine speed than before. The upshot of it was that it became a special award winner in the Caravan Club Tow Car of the Year Awards, now.....

Surely even mechanical tappets will suffer from valve bounce, although I seem to remember U.S. high performance engines used to replace hydraulic with what they called "Solid Lifters".

If the 1.4 16v will produce a comfortable 95 bhp and the 8v version is 20 horses down on that, surely it would take a lot of mechanical work such as gas flowing, boring and stroking, new and bigger valves etc., that's a hell of a lot of hard work in comparison with the present day tactic of re-programming the ECU.

A long time ago, Blydenstein Racing, the tuning arm of Vauxhall bored and stroked a 2.3 SOHC Vauxhall Victor out to 2.6 and gave it a 20% increase in power and an even bigger boost in torque. It actually developed its peak power at a lower engine speed than before. The upshot of it was that it became a special award winner in the Caravan Club Tow Car of the Year Awards, now.....

from what i have read solid lifters are manually set and thats it
they require exact setting to get spot on but because of this work well in high performance applications
whereas hydraulic ones take up the slack IYKWIM

is anyone able to tell me the part number for this type of interior light for the gp please:

P1000461.JPG

as in the actual light unit.

thanks

Yes mechanical (solid) lifters will suffer from valve bounce as well, but the point at which they start to bounce is completely determined by the strength of the valve springs.

What i suspect you are on about is volumetric efficiency? the 16v engine has a much more efficient cylinder head as standard than the 8v, therefore makes more power at lower revolutions.

Back