General the diffrences between S SX and ELX

Currently reading:
General the diffrences between S SX and ELX

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I've been looking at a lot of Cars around the £800-£1000 price range and most are pre-1997 S-SX so if I ask the sellers if their car has power steering then I assume the answer may be yes for some or am I gonna sound like an idiot? :D

Quickblood said:
I've been looking at a lot of Cars around the £800-£1000 price range and most are pre-1997 S-SX so if I ask the sellers if their car has power steering then I assume the answer may be yes for some or am I gonna sound like an idiot? :D
Yes, just ask. You should be able to see the tank under the bonnet anyhow as the power steering is hydralic.

The S and SX (and SX Selecta) had PAS as an option until around '98 when the SX tended to have them fitted as standard from the dealerships (another way of selling them off towards the '99 mark - hence mine for example).

Matt

What does the tank look like? Does anyone have a photo?

I have a 55sx M reg and beneath the steering column on the bonnet side theres a round disc thing - is that it?

Isn't that the brake servo?

I have a MK2 ELX but it has no sunroof, no front fogs or remote locking. should it have these?

:confused: On the reg doc it says Punto S 60, on the back of the car it has SX. It's a 98 (R)...it doesn't have power steering or a rev counter on the dash or ABS or centre console. Does have upholstered headrests, temperature gauge and plastic strips along the doors tho...what it it? Some kind of hybrid?:p

Last edited:
Yours is an s (probably just acquired different badges)

The sx didn't have power steering but it did have a rev counter.
If you have window winders then it's an S, SX's have electric windows.
If you have upholstered headrests, they may have also been added with the badges.

How do you go about fitting SX front fog lights to a 1999 - S model??? All the wires etc are there, but there aint no relays in the compartment above the glove box...any idea where they've moved to since the earlier models? :confused:

if there is wiring actually on the looms tied up at teh front. then you should just be able to connect the 3switch thing for the dash.

and plug some lights in.
there should be a relay for it above glovebox. if there isn't anything there then I would not think there is any wiring there either.

If all else fails, just wire them in off the top of your head, make a neat job of it and wire it into the factory 3rd switch.

:confused: On the reg doc it says Punto S 60, on the back of the car it has SX. It's a 98 (R)...it doesn't have power steering or a rev counter on the dash or ABS or centre console. Does have upholstered headrests, temperature gauge and plastic strips along the doors tho...what it it? Some kind of hybrid?:p

could be a Team, but they had a rev counter.

if it was secondhand when you bought it, then most likely its an S that someone has added extras to, ie the temp gauge.

Italian laws are quite strict about what car you can drive when you pass your test (which I think is based around the engines capacity). Therefore, to give the Italian youngster something with a bit more go (and they can spend more time revving the nuts off) they put the 6 speed box in with the 1108cc engine.

Basically, the ratios in 1st and 2nd are almost the same as the 5 speed box, and 6th is the same ratio as 5th in the 5 speed box. However, 3rd, 4th and 5th are stacked together where 3rd and 4th are in the normal box, giving the driver more chance of being in the power band (with the 55 engine the term power band needs to be interpreted loosely :D ).

The other benefit being the 6 speed box is not the usual Fiat 'loose spanner in a bag of bolts' affair and has a much, much better feel and more positive change to it.

The 55EL 3dr was the same spec as the SX minus the electric windows and central locking, but plus the body colour bumpers (and a few other 'sporty' bits I think). The 55EL was later replaced by a 55SX 6-speed which was exactly the same specification as a normal 55SX. Never seen a 55SX 6 speed but I have seen a few EL's from time to time ;)

dont be daft the six speed box is the same as the 514 5 speed box only it has a longer end casing with a sixth gear in it after fith they feel exsactly the same to drive

if your after a **** gear box try a kia sedona for a laught

Back