The aftermath of extreme fun in a VXR ...

Currently reading:
The aftermath of extreme fun in a VXR ...

I've never understood why people let them run on, get in turn everything off, stick it in gear and lift of clutch and stall!

Or have I missed the concept all together?

I was thinking the same, but as mentioned, not sure how you'd do it if auto.

TBH its worrying in those video's how unaware of the dangers people are, I'd be running fast, not uncommon for conrods etc to be ejected through bulk heads and out of engine bays in those circumstances! :eek: (n)

It can be very difficult to stall a diesel on overrun they have usually already reached high rpm before you realise what's going on, trying to stall a car in these circumstances usually churns the clutch to bits in seconds

It can be very difficult to stall a diesel on overrun they have usually already reached high rpm before you realise what's going on, trying to stall a car in these circumstances usually churns the clutch to bits in seconds

Better having a bit of wear on the clutch than a US'ed engine.

Normally place it in the highest gear possible I believe.

You can't say "runaway" and then advocate putting it in gear to stall - make your mind up :p

I think Andy's point was that rather than stalling the engine, it'd just chew the clutch up and carry on over-running.

Even though they reach max rpm they lack power, its not hard to stall them as long as the vehicle is in good condition.

Have to disagree with you on this mate. A diesel reving its guts out does produce enough torque to make stalling it almost impossible, even if it is a manual. Placing it face to face to something immovable like a concreate wall and then popping the clutch with highest gear might work if there is traction enough available, but the problem would be finding the wall and positioning the car properly, actually selecting the gear, etc.

-Tazio

Last edited:
Have to disagree with you on this mate. A diesel reving its guts out does produce enough torque to make stalling it almost impossible, even if it is a manual. Placing it face to face to something immovable like a concreate wall and then popping the clutch with highest gear might work if there is traction enough available, but the problem would be finding the wall and positioning the car properly, actually selecting the gear, etc.

-Tazio

When I owned a Range Rover I spent a lot of time off-roading with friends. Many of them had diesels and twice some unfortunate person had diesel "over-run". The first was my mates Land Rover with a 2.5 diesel in it. With hand brake and foot brake on hard he stalled it quite easily. The second was also a Land Rover but with a 2.0 diesel engine in it. This time the guy ran off, thought his car was going to explode. As we came around the corner we could hardly see anything due the the smoke. I managed to get to the car but the smoke was choking me so my mate jumped in it and again he stalled it. This time we could smell the clutch, but it saved the engine.

Compared to normal the engines do not produce as much BHP and torque when they over-run, mainly because the turbos are producing very little or no boost when bearings and oil seals go(causing the over-run).

So from personal experience "its not hard to stall them, because they lack the power they usually have".

^
Not sure, but I'd imagine that Landys transmission brake is somewhat sturdier in this respect than standard hand/parking brake. Anyway, not saying you wrong just saying it might not be that easy.

-Tazio

^
Not sure, but I'd imagine that Landys transmission brake is somewhat sturdier in this respect than standard hand/parking brake. Anyway, not saying you wrong just saying it might not be that easy.

-Tazio

Land rovers transmission brake is a right pain and I wouldnt have advised using it in that manner myself, but it seems everything was ok, and again it's cheaper than the engine.

My mate had his 1993 90 200TDi run on as well. Seems every land rover owner knows another who's had it happen to them :p

Land rovers transmission brake is a right pain and I wouldnt have advised using it in that manner myself, but it seems everything was ok, and again it's cheaper than the engine.

Land Rovers transmission brakes are useless.

My mate had his 1993 90 200TDi run on as well. Seems every land rover owner knows another who's had it happen to them :p

We used to drive to loads of different Pay & Play(http://www.paynplay.co.uk) sites, cough up a few quid and enjoy the freedom.

Pretty much everyone we went to the organiser's had "over-run" horror stories to tell.

One fella emptied a CO2 fire extinguisher down the snorkel in an attempt to stop his Land Rover over running. The organiser's said it worked, the engine stopped.

Its makes no difference what engine is "over-running", the only way to get enough engine oil into the engine is turbo failure, if the turbo has failed the engine will not be producing anywhere near its normal BHP or torque. With hand brake and foot brakes applied hard it is possible to stall the car(if you have the b*lls, those big diesels are pretty scary when over-runing).

Land Rovers transmission brakes are useless.

Only if not looked after and properly maintained ;) Same as all the other myths about crappy brakes that the heaters are crap etc. Very similar story to the world of Cinq's if looked after and well maintained they don't overheat and the handbrake will hold on a hill

:devil:

Back